Chapter Sixteen: Orthanc

<><><><><><><><><><>

Soon, days melded together and seemed indistinguishable from each other, and I quickly began to lose count. But one afternoon, all of our incessant travel seemed to account for something when we at last came into sight of the Fords of Isen. On the horizon, I could faintly make out the outline of Orthanc, a jagged spike jutting out of the Earth like a splinter. It had been looming over us ever since we'd come into sight of it earlier that day, and I was anxious to finally escape from beneath it's watch. And even more anxious yet to arrive at what lay beyond it. The Fellowship. We were almost there. All that was left of the journey was to cross the river, and pass Fangorn. It seemed so short a distance, and yet so long. But all I could do was press on, Legolas by my side.

Things between us had been quiet since that night. The night I received my second rune. He seemed to take special care to tread lightly around me, as though the slightest misstep might set me off. And it annoyed me to no end. I felt there was nothing I could do to appear capable in his eyes. Nothing I could do that would quell his constant worry for my well-being.

Though, I suppose he'd every right to worry. I was worried myself. After all, having your dreams visited by Sauran, and receiving otherworldly markings scrawled into your skin by some form of magic weren't things to be taken lightly. But there was nothing that could be done at the moment. And besides, if anyone might know how to deal with such strange happenings, it would be Gandalf. So, I would take it up with him as soon as we were reunited.

At length, we approached the river, its cool rapids crashing over rocks that stuck out from beneath its angry surface. The body of flowing water released a damp smell into the air, entangled with the distinct smell of smoke. I frowned, my eye trailing the horizon, and coming to a halt over the plumes of grey rising high into the sky around Orthanc. I shuddered, glad I was oblivious to whatever chaos was brewing in its depths. When we'd reached the bank of the river, Legolas slipped off the horse, and I followed suit.

"This is as far as you travel, my friend," Legolas' voice broke the quiet.

He placed a gentle hand on the horse's nose, before turning it around, and sending it off, as we'd promised to do upon reaching the Fords. The creature knew its way home, and couldn't accompany us any further. As it shrunk in the distance, Legolas and I wadded through the shin-deep currents, quickly covering the distance. From here, we broke from the North-South road, making for Fangorn, where we would circle its perimeter before finally making it to Mirrormere.

We continued on for a stretch passed the Fords, our journey soon cut short by the setting sun that dipped below the horizon, sending gleams of light like shattered glass bouncing off of the length of the river that was now a ways behind us. We opted to make camp at the base of a large hanging tree, its leaves like a canvas draped over us, enveloping us in shade.

A fire was soon brought to life in the cradle of the tree, and Legolas and I sat side by side, our backs pressed up against the tree's smooth bark. It was the first time in days we'd stopped to rest, and longer since that I'd actually slept. My eyes threatened to fall closed, but I refused to let them, my mind swimming with fears of re-encountering Sauran. The fear and the pain. I rubbed my heavy eyes, blinking back the fatigue.

"You must sleep at some point. You can't expect to make it to Mirrormere without any rest," Legolas said suddenly, his voice warmer than the fire.

"I can't," I replied, my speech slow and quiet, weighed down by sleeplessness.

"I'll wake you the moment I notice you stir. I promise," he assured me, "But you've got to sleep, Elena."

I turned to face him, finding his eyes already on me, evidently riddled with worry. I didn't argue. Didn't have the energy to. And after a few more moments of resistance, I found I did not even have the energy to fight against my wary eyes, who despite my best efforts, fell shut, sleep following closely. Surprisingly enough, my slumber was not accompanied by dreams of any sort, and I was instead gifted a long and heavy sleep, something I was in dire need of.