Chapter One

Chapter One (Alek)

I did what I did for my pack.

When we're born, we are destined to find our soul mate, our other half. After that, it's just like any fairy tale where you live happily ever after until you both die and are reincarnated. The souls reside in Summerland until they're recycled back to Earth. That was how life was meant to be lived.

At least, that's what I had been taught as a pup.

I had no idea that someday, I'd have to end up marrying my mate's sister. I had no choice in the matter because I wasn't part of the main family. The main family consisted of the four siblings, from oldest to youngest: Storm, Ugo, Thalia, and Kylan. They were perfect pack leaders, each in their own way and Storm only became the pack leader because he was the eldest. I was the pup of a wolf that had joined their pack before dying shortly after from parvo. I wasn't even part of their family, but they still kept me.

Because my only use was to procreate with their only she-wolf, Thalia.

Thalia was beautiful. Her dark hair flowed in heavy curls onto her shoulders and her eyes reminded me of hazel nuts. She had smooth, flawless skin and her agility in hunting was outstanding.

But she hated me and I knew it.

I wasn't her mate and she wasn't mine. She didn't want to marry me or procreate with me. She was angry because I accepted her father's offer. I had only done it because it would help our pack and I owed them something for saving me.

It wasn't enough for Thalia, though.

And it wasn't enough for me either.

I hated myeslf for that.

I should've been happy enough knowing that I had helped the people who helped me, but I couldn't push away the bitter thoughts I held toward them or the unfairness of everything. The worst part was that Thalia had more say over me than anything. As if forcing me into a marriage I didn't want was bad enough, I had that person ordering me around, practically emasculating me.

Why couldn't they have find someone else to do it? Why couldn't they have asked someone from Crystal Line or some other pack?

But it didn't matter how many times I asked myself those questions, or how I tried to convince myself, the situation didn't change.

Not until Kylan and I officially met.

He was older than me by a couple years and by the time I had been brought to Blood Rain, I had been a pup and he already hit puberty. He was out and about while I was in the basement with the other pups. Once I hit puberty, I had been told I was going to marry Thalia and that was my new purpose in life.

I tried to talk to her or something, just to try and like her at least so it wouldn't be painful, but she'd always turn away from me.

"I'm not marrying a brat!" She snapped at me once, flipping her hair over her shoulder and storming off to find something to do. I watched her go, then plopped down on the porch, looking down at my bare feet with a frown.

"Don't worry, she's always like that." A voice said. I looked up, my eyes widening when I realized Kylan was the one standing in front of me. He was extremely attractive for a guy, with deep, jet black hair and dark brown eyes. I suddenly felt gross for staring at him too long and looked away, reaching up to brush my hand through my hair.

"Either way I'm stuck with her." I admitted. Kylan smiled warmly and sat down beside me, our hips touching and it sent little thrills through me. I suddenly felt sick to my stomach, though.