Chapter Five

Chapter Five (Alek)

"And then at the very end, the bad guy appeared! It was so scary!" Harmony exclaimed enthusiastically, waving her arms around as she sat on the edge of my bed, recounting the movie she'd seen earlier with the pups. I forced the best smile I could for her, and I hated myself for not trying hard.

My whole body hurt. No, hurt would be the biggest understatement of the year. I was in complete agony and the healing process just made it worse because of how quick and harsh it was. Worse still, it wasn't fast enough. It was slow by were standards, agonizingly so. It didn't help that I was forced to be bedridden with mostly Thalia for company, who came in to inform me of all the things I wasn't doing. She didn't say it like that, but I could hear it in her voice. I could hear the raw anger and contempt she had for me since she caught me with Kylan, and more pain lacerated my heart at the very thought.

Kylan.

I felt like a heroine addict. I tried to stop. I tried so hard, but I couldn't quit him. I couldn't quit thinking of him, perking up with pathetic hope that he was the one coming into my room to visit me, to bring me my meals, only to have Thalia burst in with a whole new set of rants that involved me at the root of it. And worst of all was that she never said it. She hinted around it, like she thought I was too stupid to realize it.

"Daddy, do you need more pills?" Harmony asked me, blue eyes blinking up at me in concern. I swallowed at the painful lump in my throat, giving her another plastic smile that felt like it was wearing thin.

"That'd be great." I told her. She smiled in relief, grateful to be of help as she hopped off the bed and went to the bottle of pills sitting on the nightstand. I grabbed a glass of water and took the pills from her before swallowing them down. Harmony smiled still before I forced another smile back.

"I think I'm gonna go back to sleep, kiddo. Daddy's tired." I added. Harmony nodded in complete understanding and hopped on the bed with grace, leaning over to kiss me on the cheek.

"I'm gonna go take care of Ty! Cuz that's what big sisters do! Love you, daddy. Get lots of sleep so you can get better and we can go to The Mockingbird!" She exclaimed, giving her head a cute little tilt before she slid off the bed and went to the door opening it up just as someone was reaching for the handle. I looked up with hope, only to see Zaid standing there. Instantly my hope fled and my heart sank into my stomach. Zaid gave Harmony a smile and shooed her off before he stepped inside. I started to sit up, despite the pain coursing through me.

"It's all right," He told me gently, making me swallow hard and slump back against the pillows propping me up, "Relax. I'm not here to get on your case... about the chores anyway." I held my breath. Of course he'd find out about yet another fling. He was probably here to boot me out.

These people opened your arms to you and this is how you repay them?

Cheating on one of the original members with her own brother?

"I'm..." I couldn't find the words to apologize. I knew this was going to happen. I knew it.

"Alek, relax," Zaid said again with calm sincerity and authority, "I'm not here to hurt you. I want to talk about Kylan." Could my stomach drop any further? I said nothing, though, as Zaid walked over to the bed and sat down, looking around the room for a moment. I swallowed hard, before he turned to pin me with an intense stare.

"You and Kylan are mates." He stated. I gave him a long hard stare, but tried not to get pissed at the obvious statement.

"Yes." I replied.