𝘪𝘪. 𝘤𝘰𝘯𝘴𝘦𝘲𝘶𝘦𝘯𝘤𝘦𝘴

i tried not to think about what i had just done as i suck back into the sweet caress of my bedsheets. i felt badass and like i could conquer the world if i wanted, but still. did i have to be so cruel?

what if that guy was just trying to provide for his family or something? well, there are better ways to do that than breaking into the room of one of the avengers. i suppose i should get someone to take care of him. that high of a drop would leave someone sorta squished, and he shouldn't just be left there all pancake-y.

damn, who knew being a badass came with so many consequences?

my door opened to a friendly face without warning. i looked to the doorway to see the familiar head of red hair.

shit. she's a heavy sleeper, so if she's awake, then who else heard that scream?

"hey, nat. what's up?"

"i heard a scream. is everything okay?" she said, looking bored. i could still pick out the few tells in her body language despite the mask of disinterest; she was totally worried.

i hesitated with my answer. this was tricky. how would she react if i just told her straight out that i killed a man without a second thought? and i did it by throwing him out the window, too. if i lied to her and said nothing happened, she would distrust me anyways. and there was no guarantee she wouldn't stumble across the body outside.

damn. i guess it's out with the truth, then. let's just try to be as nonchalant as possible.

"oh, yeah, i threw a guy out of the window," i finally responded, poking a thumb over my shoulder to the open window. i kept my face relatively blank and my posture relaxed.

please don't freak out.

"okay, y/n, i know you're new to the avengers, but you can't throw someone out of a window without a good reason. except for clint— you're allowed to toss him whenever— but he's the only exception."

i could hear the amusement flowing through her voice. she smiled the tiniest bit, and her posture relaxed.

okay, major crisis averted. but, does she really think i'd kill someone for no reason? fuck, if anyone catches me, it's bound to be her.

"i know, i know," i responded. "does the dude trying to steal your stuff, and in the process shoot you count as a good reason?"

natasha chuckled, and walked over to the bed, sitting next to me. i watched her movements, carefully analyzing everything.

"that's fair enough," she said. "but, seriously, you promise you're okay?"

"yeah, i handled it," i told her, flashing a smile. this more motherly side of natasha was rare, and i was essentially the only person who got to see it. the way she cared for me was something i always appreciated. that's why it felt the worst lying to her.

"how'd he get the drop on you? didn't you predict it?"

"of course i did, but he already had a gun to my head before i could react to the feeling. i'm pretty damn fast, but i'm not that fast."

she chucked again, but then yawned, "alright, y/n, you're already making a great new addition to the team, but let's save the aggression for training in the morning, okay?"

i nodded to her, and she smiled and left my room, closing the door behind her. i moved further under the white covers of my bed and sighed. the warmth should have allowed me to fall asleep quickly, but no matter how much i tossed and turned, the man's screams haunted me all through the night.