Didn't You Know?

~*~

The cops started to clear out for the day, having everything they needed for the case. Thank God. Ashleigh thought to herself, taking one quick look around to make sure the coast was clear before she turned back forward. Her eyes closed momentarily, only to reopen to show a golden, yellow hue. Now that she was alone, she could take a closer look around.

Letting out a small breath, she stepped around the house, her senses on full alert. That's when she caught a whiff of it. A gory looking pile of skin hanging off the window near the side of the home.

Disgusted by the scent, she instantly covered her nose with the inside of her elbow, letting out a small grunt just before her hair stood on end, a shiver running up her spine. Quickly, she turned her head to check behind her as the scent grew in intensity.

~*~

"Where the hell is she? We don't have time for this." Dean groaned as he and Sam headed out to the car.

Sam rolled his eyes slightly but before he could get a word in, Ashleigh stepped over to the boys with a smile on her lips "Oh come on mister grouchy butt. Don't rush me." She said as she climbed into the backseat.

Sam and Dean exchanged a quick look before they slowly climbed in as well.

"Find anything?" Sam asked, glancing back at her as Dean started up the engine, pulling off into the road.

"Just that gross shedding they like to leave behind." Ashleigh spoke, shaking her head lightly. "What about you two?"

Dean huffed slightly "Not shit... If this shifter did know Mason before hand, they weren't buddies. Not from what we can tell at least."

Sam sighed, resting his arm against the door as he looked forward "We couldn't find anything that even indicated where they could be... Mason could be dead for all we know."

"I don't think he's dead... At least, not yet." She muttered.

Dean lifted an eyebrow, looking at her reflection in the rear view mirror "What makes you think that?"

"Just trust me on this one." She says gently, shooting him a quick smile on the mirror.

Dean blinked, confused, giving a look towards his brother as they headed off to find a motel for the night.

~*~

Dean stepped out of the front office, holding a key in his hand as Ashleigh and Sam gathered the bags. "86." He called out simply, giving the two the room number as he stepped down the walkway, his duffel hanging over his shoulder.

Ashleigh and Sam followed closely behind, the three entering the room and setting their bags down to claim the beds for the night. Ashleigh however, dropped her bag in the couch before rummaging through the duffel and pulling out a change of clothes.

The brothers went back and forth about the case as Ashleigh slipped away into the bathroom to get changed into something a little more comfortable. A pair of jeans and an old Metallica t-shirt. Much better.

It didn't take her long to finish up, stepping out only for Dean to replace her, closing the door behind him.

Her gaze met Sam as she set her formal attire on top of her bag. Without lifting his head from his laptop, he spoke "I say we go by the high school in the morning, maybe one of the students noticed something weird.."

He lifted his head to find Ashleigh standing directly in front of him, her gun in hand. Before he could react, the handle of her pistol came into contact with his head, knocking him unconscious.

A gentle him filtered through her lips as she grabbed her handcuffs and cuffed him to the chair he was situated in, making sure to take his weapons from him and set them on the couch across the room.

Dean climbed out of the shower and got dressed, a small yawn escaping him before he opened up the bathroom door "Okay, Sammy. Your turn--" He started before his eyes landed on his brother who was still slumped over. Without giving him another second, he felt a sharp pain against his head, his vision blurring as consciousness faded away.

~*~

"..ean.... Dean.. Dean!"

Dean opened his eyes quickly, looking around to see Sam still handcuffed to the chair. He attempted to get up only to find himself cuffed to the furnace. "Sam? Hey.. you okay?" He asked worriedly.

"Jeez, he's fine. You seriously worry way too much about him." Ashleigh said, stepping over to the brothers, her pistol in her hand.

Sam eyed her carefully, his eyebrows furrowed "Who the hell are you? Where's Ashleigh?"

Ashleigh giggled softly, turning her attention towards Sam with a tilt of her head "She's not dead if that's what you're asking. Not yet at least." She mused.

Dean grunted quietly, his eyes locked on her "You lay one damn finger on her and I swear..."

Ashleigh grinned, stepping over to him and kneeling down in front of him, grasping at his chin to force him to look up at her "And you'll what exactly? You'll kill me even if I look exactly like her?" She asked, leaning closer to whisper into his ear "I don't think you have it in you..." She said before pulling back and stepping away with a small laugh.

"But who knows! She sure doesn't."

Sam glared at her "What the hell are you talking about?"

Ashleigh turned her head towards him, a smirk plastered on her face "Oh! You didn't know? Of course you didn't. Poor girl is horrified of telling you two the truth."

"Stop stalling and spit it out." Dean spat, anger clear in his voice.

Ashleigh looked over at the older brother, an amused look in her eyes "What was it that you two accused her of... That's right! That she just took off." The shifter rolled her eyes, tucking her hair behind her ear. "She didn't just take off you know. As stupid as it sounds, she'd do anything for you boys. Plus... She's crazy about the eldest."

Dean swallowed, trying not to look at his brother as he began to pick his lock. He needed to keep the shifters attention for a little while longer. "So where was she?"

Ashleigh sighed softly, stepping over to Dean casually as a fake sorrowful look overcame her eyes. "She was taken by that pack of wolves. And you know... As she laid in that barn, bleeding out, your name is the one she called out for."

Dean's smug look faltered, staring up into the shifters eyes. But before he could say another word, Sam had broken free and hit the shifter in the back of the head, her body hitting the floor with a soft thud.