"Normal"

~*~

Ashleigh woke up early the next morning, four hours of sleep was the most she's had in a while honestly and she wasn't about to complain. Even if it was a nightmare that woke her up. Which was just another thing she had grown used to.

She pulled herself out of bed and got dressed in a pair of old ripped, blue jeans and a tight fit AC/DC black t-shirt before she made her way into the hall. It was quiet and she figured she'd take this brief moment of peace before the brothers awoke. Stepping into the kitchen, she began to brew up a pot of coffee for the three of them. The smell of coffee soon began to fill the front portion of the bunker, which was a welcoming feeling. Things almost felt normal. Almost.

Sam was the first to meet her in the kitchen, stepping to her side to pour himself a cup of the warm liquid. He didn't say a word at first, the silence thickening the air around her. Finally, after what seemed like forever, Ashleigh cleared her throat and stepped aside with her coffee cup in hand.

"Sleep okay?" She muttered gently, just trying to break the tension.

"More or less." Sam admitted flatly as he turned his head towards her, his eyes scanning her facial features carefully. "And you?"

Ashleigh lightly bit onto her bottom lip, averting her gaze for a moment. "Ditto."

Sam stood there quietly, watching her before he pressed his back against the counter "So.. enough with the casual conversation. You want to talk to me about what the hell has been going on with you?"

Ashleigh lifted her gaze to meet his, her eyes soft yet dull. The spark that used to dance within her hazel eyes nowhere to be seen. This didn't go unnoticed by Sam. He knew that she had been through a hell of a year and with how close they used to be, he figured she'd be able to talk to him. At least right now, Dean wasn't yelling at her for an explanation. So maybe, just maybe, he'd be able to get the truth out of her.

"What do you want me to say, Sam? I didn't have a choice. It's not like I didn't want to come back or at least call you two." Ashleigh spoke quietly, her fingers toying with a loose string on the hem of her shirt.

Sam sighed frustratingly, setting his cup down in the counter before he turned his head back towards her. "Ash, come on. Enough with the vague explanations. You can talk to me." He said, his voice growing softer as he spoke.

The brunette woman pinched the inside of her cheek between her teeth as she lightly gripped onto her own arm, her nails digging into her skin slowly. "Can we just forget this past year even happened? Please..." She pleaded, her eyes looking up at his. With just one look, he understood. He wasn't sure what she went through but she didn't seem ready to talk about it. Obviously he wanted to know the truth but he also knew that pushing her when she wasn't ready would only make her distance herself further.

The tall hunter stepped over to her and wrapped his arms around her in a comforting hug. Although, when he first touched her, she instinctually jumped and pulled back but Sam pulled her into the hug anyway. "Whatever or whoever hurt you... We'll make them pay, all right?"

She froze slightly, as his face flashed through her mind. The Kimbrell girl exhaled shakily and slowly gave into the hug, her hands lightly gripping onto the back of his shirt before the two pulled away. Nodding her head, she grasped for her coffee cup yet again, stepping back as she heard footsteps growing closer.

The eldest brother stepped into the kitchen, glancing in her direction quickly before a sour look faded onto his face as he began to pour himself up a cup of coffee. "Find anything, Sammy? I could really use a hunt right about now." He said, completely ignoring the woman in the room.

Sam took in a deep breath and nodded his head slightly "Found something in Durham, Washington... But are you sure you're up for this? I mean.. you were a demon just a few days ago."

Ashleigh nearly spit out her coffee "Wait, hold the phone." She choked out, looking up towards the green eyed hunter with wide eyes "You were a demon?" She questioned.

Dean sighed and glared at her, his shoulders tensing "Don't act like you care all of a sudden."

That comment made Ashleigh's eye twitch as she set her coffee cup down quietly. Sam furrowed his eyebrows in reaction to how calm she seemed after Dean's snide comment. But just when he thought she was going to just let it go, she slammed her hand on the counter, making the male jump.

"Are you fucking kidding me right now?! Of course I care what's going on with you Dean. I care about what's been going on with the both of you!" She yelled in defense, her voice practically growling.

Dean let out a humorless chuckle as he turned his head for a moment "Well, you have a hell of a way of showing it. I was stupid to think that something was going on between us. But you know what, it's safer for you to stay away. So why don't you go back to wherever the hell you were, and stay gone."

Ashleigh's anger faded into quiet sorrow and regret, the room growing quiet. She stepped over to the sink, placing her coffee cup within to wash later before she walked out of the kitchen.

Sam sighed and glared at his brother who gave a confused look in return "What?"

Sam shook his head and followed Ashleigh out of the kitchen to see her pulling her jacket on as she rushed up the stairs, towards the exit. But just before she could get outside, Sam grabbed her by the arm.

Before Sam could say anything, she yanked her arm away and shot him a look he'd never seen before. She almost looked -- scared. "I'm just going for a walk, Sammy. I need some fresh air, that's all." She said through a forced smile and with that, she left the bunker, allowing the door to shut behind her. Now that she was alone, she felt a tear slowly roll down her cheek.

The woman made her way over towards the treeline, taking a seat on an old log as her hand came up to cover her mouth to muffle her quiet sobs. She just needed things to go back to normal.

But she wasn't the same girl, so normal wasn't a possibility for her. Not anymore.