Pinch Me

Clem's POV

News about Louis spread through the school like wildfire.  Within the first twenty four hours, everyone knew what had happened.  Everyone.

The cops took AJ and I for questioning a few hours after the incident.  I did most of the talking.

I told them the truth; that AJ didn't hear the truck as it was coming, and that Louis pushed him out of the way to save him.  

However, I lied when they asked why we were out there in the first place; I said that we had thought we saw Rosie run through the hole we had squeezed through, and we had gone off to get her.  They didn't second guess my answer, and we didn't even get in trouble for leaving the school without permission.

Apparently Louis's act had made national television, and my parents called me later that night.  They asked me if I wanted to come home.

"I know this must be hard for you, watching your friend get hit like that," my mom sympathized through the phone. "If you want to come home, I will drive over there and pick you up right now."

"What about AJ?"  I asked. 

"Alvin and Rebecca already talked to him.  He said he wanted to stay."

"Then I need to stay here with him," I told her.  "He needs me."

"I understand," My dad spoke.  

"But if you ever change your mind, give us a call," Mom pitched in.

"I will."

"We love you, Clemmy."

"I love you guys, too.  Bye."

"Bye-bye."  With that, I hung up.

I sat down on my bed, alone in my dorm.  I ran my fingers through my messy hair, tempted to tear it out.  

I looked down at the blood on my dress, and I felt the tears start to sting my eyes again.

"Why can't I just be happy?" I asked out loud.  "Every time I start to settle in somewhere, every time things are starting to become normal, it's taken away!"

My whole body began to quiver, and it became hard to breathe.  I sat down on the bed and pulled my knees up to my chest, weeping into them.

"Louis..."  I quietly sobbed.  "It's not fair.  You didn't deserve this."  I wished I had him there to comfort me.  He would wrap his arms around me and hold me, whispering sweet things in my ear, making me feel better.  But he couldn't.  He was just gone.

I heard a knock on the door, but was too distraught to get up and open it.  Whoever was knocking let themselves right in.

"Clem!"  Vi exclaimed.  She came in, and I heard several other pair of feet behind her, but I didn't bother looking to see who it was.

I felt someone sit on the bed behind me.  "It's okay," Ruby cooed, rubbing my back. I subconsciously leaned into her, continuing to sob into her shirt.  I could tell she was sniffling, too.

"Let it all out," Brody consoled,  placing a hand on my shoulder.  

I couldn't control myself.  I was crying like I never had before.  

I can't believe I lost him again.

"H-he's d-dead," I stammered.

"You don't know that," Brody said.  "There's still a chance he can wake up."