Unrequited Feelings

Summary: Gray has watched Erza from afar for a long time but has yet to do anything about his feelings for her. Even though she loves another, Gray is finally ready to make his move...at least that's what he had planned. Grayza. Spoilers for the Grand Magic Games arc.

The night before.

No one was in sight as Gray walked along the street, dimly lit from the lampposts lining the pathway. The night sky was free of clouds and the moon was full and beautiful. There was even a pleasant breeze coming in from the north. It was the perfect night to be taking a stroll. Unlucky for Gray, he had other things on his mind to mull over and the scenery wasn't one of them.

It was just the other night that Gray had an…interesting conversation with Erza. They talked about love and how he should let his feelings for a special someone be known. Feelings that Erza thought he had for Juvia, that is. Gray knew that sooner or later someone would come in and try to help sort out this whole ordeal he had going on with Juvia. He knew that. But why, of all the people that he could have had this discussion with, did it have to be with Erza?

Now Gray regrets ever bringing up his love life with Erza. He feels as if he keeps getting dragged back into this mess with Lyon and Juvia and finds it extremely uncomfortable. All he wanted was to let off some steam, to have someone listen to his problems. He wasn't expecting the conversation to continue in this direction, but Erza knew it was troubling him and that was why she suggested for him to let his feelings known. The problem was he didn't want Erza to get the wrong idea.

Juvia is a sweet girl (although a bit scary and clingy at times) who would do anything for Gray. Gray admits he has been a bit protective of her ever since he realized how much she truly loved him, when their senses were linked thanks to Meredy's magic. She was head over heels in love with him, yet he couldn't bring himself to return those feelings. There was someone else who clouded his thoughts. She had for a long time now.

Gray stepped in a puddle when he wasn't looking and got his pant leg wet. He groaned as he tried to shake off what he could of the water and hoped it would dry by the time he got back to the inn. Then he went on his way and back to his thoughts.

It wasn't until recently that Gray realized how important Erza was to him. During Team Natsu's visit to the Tower of Heaven, Gray and company learned of Erza's past. Everything he had wondered about for so long and never had the guts to ask was finally answered. He now knew why she was crying by the river that time when they were kids. Why she chose to be alone for so long before finally accepting Fairy Tail. Why she wore those worn and tattered clothes the day she first came to Fairy Tail. Finally understanding everything as to why Erza was the way she is only made Gray feel even closer to her.

When Shou took off with a defenseless Erza and after Jellal, a switch was flipped inside of Gray. All he could think about in that moment was Erza. He needed to bring her back safely to Fairy Tail and away from the tower that caused her so much pain. She needed to get far away from Jellal. He wanted to see her smile again.

During his fight with Fukuro, Gray thought back to when he first met Erza and he finally understood. Erza had already claimed his heart. She stole it all those years ago when he first saw her walk through the main doors of Fairy Tail and he didn't even know it.

Being lost in thought made Gray bump face first into a street light. He held his face as he cursed into his hands to try and muffle the obscenities. He was starting to get worked up and glared at the street light as if it was their fault and not his own. He took a deep breath and let out a big sigh before moving around the lamppost and continuing his walk.

When Erza was poisoned during her fight against Cobra, Gray's protectiveness kicked in once again. Even though Erza pleaded for someone to cut her arm off, Gray couldn't go through with it. He didn't dare let Lyon lay a finger on Erza with that blade. There had to be another way to save her. He knew there had to be a different way. He fought tooth and nail to hold off Racer so that Natsu could bring Wendy back to heal Erza. That fight was for Erza's sake.