Lucky Day

Ch. 11 – Lucky Day

He knew everyone had been talking about "it". Word got around fast in such a close-knit guild. Erza wasn't anywhere in the guild or at her room in Fairy Hills. No one had seen her all day. She was nowhere to be found.

"What the hell am I going to do…?" Gray mumbled to himself with his face pressed against the surface of one of the tables in the main hall. His hands were covered over his head in frustration to keep from making eye contact with any of the guild members that passed by his table.

"I don't see why you're getting so worked up over this, Gray." Cana said before finishing off the last bit of alcohol from a large barrel. She had been keeping him company by sitting on top of the table next to his. She wiped off any remnant of the liquid from her mouth before speaking again. "Just calm down."

Gray slipped his hands off of his head and onto the table. He slowly turned his head over on the table to stare at Cana. He looked very unsettled. "She kissed me! How can I be calm?!"

Cana placed the barrel onto the floor, not losing eye contact with Gray. "Why are you so shocked by this? It's just a kiss."

A small blush appeared across his cheeks. He let out a frustrated grumble before turning his head to face the table surface once more. "The thought that Erza actually kissed me…it's like a dream."

Cana couldn't help but laugh at the way Gray was reacting. It wasn't often that she saw the ice mage acting all flustered. "Idiot. We all saw her kiss you last night. It definitely wasn't a dream."

He could still remember it so vividly. The warmth of her lips, how soft they were, the faint taste of strawberry cake. It was all too good to be true. He believed there was no way that could have actually happened. But the reality was that it wasn't a dream. Erza had kissed him and he couldn't get over that simple fact.

Gray's face grew as red as Erza's hair thinking back on the kiss for the millionth time. He covered his arms over his head once more. He didn't want Cana to see him like this. It was extremely embarrassing.

While Cana found this situation very amusing, it also worried her. "Why did you do nothing?"

Gray sat up and leaned back in his seat, letting out a heavy sigh. His stare never left the ceiling as he spoke. "I don't know…I was too shocked to do anything, I guess."

Cana was starting to get slightly annoyed with this passive Gray. "Then why aren't you doing anything about it now?"

This was the thing Gray dreaded being brought up the most. He closed his eyes for a moment. All the added pressure was racking up in his brain.

Gray didn't kiss her back out of fear that he was only assuming things. And even after the kiss, he was too caught up in his own disbelief to even talk to her about it. It all felt as if it came out of left field. Gray didn't know how he was supposed to go about things as they were. It was hard for him to believe that the girl he loved had kissed him. Not to mention he never thought of the possibility of Erza ever initiating a kiss with him of all people.

Gray opened his eyes and stared at the ceiling once more. "Erza must have known the meaning of standing under the mistletoe with someone. She's not that naïve. And you know how she is about following the rules and everything. She could have done it out of obligation."

Cana, who was sick of hearing his excuses, cut right to the chase. "You don't think she kissed you because she wanted to?"

"There's no way she…"

All of the memories he spent with Erza over the past few months came rushing back to him.

He thought of when he first hugged a crying Erza on the last day of the tournament. He remembered how awkward things were between them for a while after that. Then they put on that play together and things seemed to have gone back to normal, except something felt different between them somehow. They were growing closer because of everything. He remembered when she helped fix him up when he broke his arm and leg or the time she got sick. She acted so cute while under the influence of the cold. Erza first mentioned her desire to eat cake and he made that promise with her. She looked so happy as she fell asleep. And the last few days were full of many new memories with Erza. He saw so many different sides of her and he enjoyed every single one of them. Erza accepted the ice rose he presented her, she was flustered when they were assumed to be lovers and they even fed each other. And the last moment they shared was a kiss.