Chapt. 1

We marched forward, no doubt going on a suicide mission. The closer we moved, the quieter our steps, the slower our breaths, the faster our heart-rates, and the quicker we stepped.

As I walked gently in line with Sergeant Dunwoody. My steps matching beat by beat with his.

The closer to our impending doom, the more I had to force myself to remember nothing but my family, for just a split moment, as I knew I wouldn't be here if it hadn't been for them. Just the fact that I was here, and they were safely at home, I couldn't help but smile at.

The gun on my shoulders felt awkward and heavy, although familiar and light. It was the weirdest sensation I have ever had.

Finally, we reached enemy camp. Pulling the guns off our shoulders, we aimed. We were hidden to where we could see them, yet they could not see us.

Of course, when I noticed they were practicing gunfire, I told our leading commander, Officer Kindley, to aim there first, so they would not be suspicious of our own gunfire.

Quietly, we took aim, and shot, only one missing the target. Soon, we pulled out the big guns, and started firing our assault rifles.

For the fourth time in the attacks, we were fired at. Gunpowder against gunpowder. Finally, after eight of our small attack-squad (there were only 16 people) were shot dead, we began to retreat, after killing over 50.

My head spun, as I left my comrades.

Well, maybe I should introduce myself seeing as you've read so far. My name is Daesha Cornell, but please call me Sergeant Cornell. I fight for, give my trust to, and believe in the American dream. You've heard of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldiers, right? Well, I may soon be one of those soldiers, but only fate can decide.