XV

And I wonder if I'm dead, saw the white light flicker so I wake up in a sweat
Code red, sirens going off 'bout something that I dreamt, 
Thinking 'bout the shit I never told you that I meant
I can't shake it off, chloroform, peace and rest 

-Sweet Little Lies, bülow 

"Get your hands off of me!" I snapped, shrugging Francis' hands off of my shoulders.

He sighed, stepping away. "Calm down. You just need to trust me."

A bunch of guards had cornered me, preventing me from escaping and allowing Francis to catch up.

"How can I possibly trust you?" I exclaimed. "You set the woods on fire! Left that message!"

"Diana!"

I snapped my gaze to find my father entering the room.

"Father." I acknowledged, gritting my teeth and trying my best not to send him a glare.

"We seem to have an audience, let's take this to your room." My father suggested.

I looked behind me, forgetting that we had a mass of people in the hall. It wasn't my fault they turned on the lights and stopped the music.

"What are all you looking at?" I snapped at them. "Get back to the stupid masquerade."

"Diana." My father scolded. "Let's go."

I brushed past him, heading out of the hall. I allowed my feet to carry me to my room, although my heart wanted to stay in the hall and help Ryder get out before he got caught.

Soon enough, we were in my room. By we I meant Francis, a guard, my father and unfortunately myself. 

I took a seat on my bed, trying to get comfortable. The feel of the silk quilt called for me to just drop everything and sleep.

"Please take that ratchet thing off," My father asked, staring at the mask on my face.

I grumbled before pulling the mask off, standing up and chucking it onto my bed.

Before I could protest, my father pulled me in for a hug, muttering into my hair, "I've been so worried about you. You must know—"

"--Oh, Diana, daring! I'm so glad you're okay."

I pulled away from my father and headed towards my mother, offering her an embrace. She seemed surprised but slowly returned the gesture.

"Mom, you need to tell Dad--"

Before I could speak a knock sounded against my opened door.

We all turned to find two guards. Edward, and behind him stood a younger one.

"Look who we found roaming through the cells."

Edward stepped to the side, so did the other guard. We were greeted with Ryder. He was cuffed, his head hung low. He lifted it, shifting his eyes to meet my gaze. He sent me a small smile. I returned the gesture and examined his face, noticing that his left eye was starting to swell. Someone had punched him.

"What the hell did you do to him?" I asked, stepping towards Ryder, placing my fingers on his cheek, examining his eye at a closer proximity.

Ryder didn't step away, just staring down at my hands.

"Diana. Step away from him," My mother warned from behind me.

I threw her a look. I knew it was just an act in front of my father, but could she not sympathize for Ryder in this moment?