Seventeen

A/N It's late. I am sorry. I spent 7 hours cleaning my room, and totally having a breakdown. But I wrote it. And it's the last chapter. And I'm sad. And also so so so proud and excited that this story is actually doing rlly well and people are enjoying it. So if you want to see more from me just comment. And now, enjoy this final bit of Rich and Michael. xoxoxoxo Abigail 

Michael's POV

I don't know what ever took me so long to just let myself be in love with Rich. I want to die holding Rich Goranski in my arms, and pressing kisses to his hair. Being with Rich feels like every breath I take is just so I can love him for the rest of my life. His heart beats steadily right over mine, and somehow the rhythm syncs, and it's just quiet, but for my breath, his breath, and our two hearts understanding that the other is what it's been waiting for. It's a feeling like gold, actual gold threads spun like cotton candy around a sun that burns so bright over a field of small yellow buttercups.

Rich snuggles closer into my chest, and I breathe deeply the scent of his faint cologne, with an undertone of lemon, and freshly cut grass.

I could stay like this forever, but I know Rich needs to go home.

And I need to get a suit for prom.

It breaks my heart to wake up Rich, but I have to.

"Wake up sweetheart." I gently disentangle myself. Rich mumbles and reaches back out for me. "C'mon baby you need to go home."

"But I am home..."

Rich's POV

Like I suspected, Brooke had murder on the brain the second I told her I was going to prom with Michael. She then hung up, presumably to make sure Michael didn't make a questionable suit decision.

I'm going to prom with Michael.

It doesn't feel real to me, even though I can picture in my mind every touch from Michael on my skin. It's like a dream I'm still living in, one where something so incredibly special and important happened, but I can't quite grasp at it to make my brain come to terms with the fact that it is real, and it did happen.

And is happening.

I'm going to prom with Michael.

I'm going to prom with Michael Mell, who's the hottest guy at school, and I won his affections all by myself. No SQUIP attached.

I smile to myself.

Things are looking up for Rich Goranski.

Michael's POV

Brooke shows up at my house half an hour after I've dropped off Rich, and slaps me.

"That's for stealing my prom date Mell." Then she kisses my cheek and hugs me. "And that's for finally getting your head out of your ass and getting together with Rich! Now we have to go shopping. Right now. Prom is tomorrow and you are not prepared and I swear to god if two of my best boys do not have the perfect night I will punch something. Or someone. And it might be Jeremy, SO LET"S GET MOVING."

I hurry to the car as quickly as I can. I love Brooke to death, but she can be terrifying if she wants to be.

--------time skip brought to you by Will Roland just being Will Roland-------

"Michael! You look amazing!" Brooke gushes, snapping photos with her phone.

"Are you sure it isn't too much?" I bite my lip nervously.

"Absolutely. You look amazing, and you're going to coordinate with Rich perfectly. Power couple of the century!"

I'm decked out in a red suit which Brooke claims will match Rich's bowtie.

"I just want this to be perfect for him. I want to be perfect for him." Ever since I kissed Rich on the playground I've spared no thought to myself, just Rich, Rich, Rich, but now I'm worried again. There's no way I'm who Rich wants to go to prom with.

"Michael, Rich started sobbing on the phone with me because he was so happy he got to go with you. Something tells me you two are going to be together for a long long time. And I am never wrong. This suit is perfect, you're perfect, he's perfect, and I need to get home and get 12 hours of sleep so that I can be perfect." Brooke is already removing me from the suit, she's all business. I can't help but grin, because everything really does feel perfect.

Rich's POV

"I'm going to pick you up at 6:00 so we can get dinner with all our friends. Sound good?"
"Yeth!"

"Awesome. I'll see you then. I love you." Michael hangs up, and I flop back on my bed sighing contentedly.

"Get up Goranski, Brooke sent me to make you look sexy, and if I don't do what she says neither of us are going to have a very good time." Chloe inspects her nails, bored. I drag myself off the bed reluctantly. "Good. Now put on the suit and then I'm doing your hair. Don't be long, my makeup isn't going to do itself."

"Tho impatient Valentine."

' "It's prom Richard, this is very important! Get moving!" I scurry off to my bathroom, suit in hand. It's not too hard to get on, and even though I already know what it looks like, it feels different knowing Michael's going to see it now.

"Goranski I'm coming in you better be clothed." Chloe barges into the bathroom with several bottles of hair product, and a mean looking comb. One tug of the brush on my hair and a few tears sting my eyes.

"Beauty is pain darling Rich. Beauty is pain." Chloe smiles prettily, and continues raking at my hair.

Michael's POV

"Brooke! You look beautiful, you can lay off the eyeliner. You're gorgeous, I'm honestly a little scared Rich is going to remember he's into guys and girls and go after you!"

"Don't be ridiculous Micah, he's only going to have eyes for you in that stunner of a suit." Brooke smiles, And I pull her into a hug. Whatever the material of her pale yellow dress is, it's soft. Brooke radiates beauty, and warmth. I'm proud to have her as a friend.

I turn and look at myself again in the mirror. The suit Brooke picked is definitely attention seeking, that's for sure. But my days of hiding in the background with Jeremy are over. I have a wonderful boyfriend, and I look good. And I'm going to prom.

With my boyfriend.

Who's Rich Goranski.

Who is waiting for me to pick him up for dinner.

-----time skip through dinner cuz i dont wanna write a ton of dialogue of the whole squad-----

I enter the music hall that the school rented with the world's prettiest boy on my arm. I couldn't take my eyes off Rich since the moment I picked him up. All our friends clean up very nicely, even Jeremy, who looks quite dashing in his white suit next to Christine's blue Cinderella inspired dress. Jake and Chloe accidentally matched with pink, which made Chloe mad because "Jenna stands out in that purple bodycon, and Brooke looks like Belle, but I blend in with you!" But every single one of them is subpar to Rich. His fitted black suit is begging for me to rip it off him, and I want to pull him by his perfectly matching red bow tie into my room, and kiss him dizzy.

But for now I'm content just to dance. Hands. Hands on waist, hands looped around neck. Lips. Lips in hair, lips on skin, lips on lips. Rich. Rich. Rich. Rich.

It's just Rich and I in a ballroom filled with fairy lights, flowers, and cheap streamers, slow dancing to every song, no matter how fast it is. The only music I can hear is his gentle humming, and the rise and fall of his chest, perfectly attuned to mine, as they press together. And though the room is loud, I know Rich can hear me with perfect clarity when I gently place my lips to his ear and whisper,

"I'm never getting over you Rich Goranski." Because his hands just tighten round my neck, bringing me closer. Always closer with us. Closer, closer, closer. Pressing our bodies together, and taking my mouth, and heart as his, sealing an "I love you" with a kiss.