Two

Michael's POV

I'm sitting in math class, 100% not listening to Mr.Taylor explain something about trigonometry, when my phone buzzes lightly in my pocket. And then again. And again. Aaaand again. I slide the device out of my hoodie, and peek at it under my desk. I have one message from Jeremy and 10 from Brooke. I open Jeremy's first.

Player 2: Micahel can you eat at the school today for lunch, not 7-Eleven? I'll get you a slushie later to make up for it

Player 1: Ugh fine. U suck Heere

Player 2: Thank you!!!!!!!!!!

Jeremy knows I despise school lunches. So this has to be very very important. Maybe he has something.. Important to tell me. I smile inwardly. Brooke texts me, yet again but I'm not worried. Pinkberry probably has a new flavor out or something.

Brookeberry: Michael

Brookeberry: Micah

Brookeberry: MICAH

Brookeberry: i kno you never pay attention in math class, pleaseeee text me back

Brookeberry: it's super important

Brookeberry: i promise it isn't about pinkberry this timeeee

Brookeberry: It's about Jeremy

Brookeberry: u for sure should not eat lunch in the cafeteria today

Brookeberry: Micah txt me back

Brookeberry: I'm outside ur math classroom come out

Player 1: wtf Brooke

Brookeberry: pls

Player 1: okokok I'm coming

I raise my hand politely and ask for a hall pass. Mr.Taylor waves his hand at me distractedly, and I'm out the door. True to her word, Brooke is leaning on the wall outside my math classroom.

"Brooke, what on earth is this all about."
"Oksorememberwhenyouweresleepingoveratmyhouseandtoldmeandchlothatyousortakindahadahugecrushonjeremyandwewerealllikeomgthatssocutewewilltotallyhelpyougetwithhim?" Was she even speaking english just now?

"Please slow down!" Brooke looks agitated, and then leans close to my ear.

"Okay so remember when you were sleeping over at my house and told me and Clo that you sorta kinda had a huge crush on Jeremy and we were all like omg that's so cute we will totally help you get with him?" I inhale sharply. I do remember. Brooke doesn't exactly have the best filter for keeping secrets, but I wanted to tell my new girlfriends something I hadn't told anyone else- ever.

"Brooke... What did you do?" If she told Jeremy and he doesn't like me back I won't be able to look Jeremy in the eyes ever again.

"Nothing!!!" She whines. "It's just. I might've heard from Chloe, who heard from Jenna, who heard from Jake that Jeremy was planning on asking Christine to prom at lunch today." She blurts out breathily, and then looks at me concerned. I feel my breath hitch, and my heart breaks, bleeding out in the form of a few tears burning the corners of my eyes.

"C-Christine?" Brooke nods slowly, putting her arms around me, and nuzzling her head into my neck.

"I'm so sorry Micah. I just figured you should know, in case you want to avoid it." I choke on a sob.

"Jeremy asked me to eat lunch at school today, and I said yes. I thought he was going to ask me to prom." I told myself Jeremy calling me a loser was the last time I would ever let Jeremy Heere break my heart. But I was wrong. This is just confirmation I'm going to be his dorky best friend for the rest of my life.

"Oh Micah! You don't have to. I'll take you out to lunch!" Brooke wipes my eyes with her fluffy yellow cardigan. I clench my nails into the cuffs of my hoodie.

"Thanks Brooke, but I have to be a good friend. Jeremy needs my support. And even if he doesn't love me, I love him, and I can't abandon him. Ever." My mind goes numb. What I really need is to get stoned in my basement, but I have a best friend to wingman for. "C'mon Brooke, I don't need to go to the rest of this class anyways. Let's head to lunch early."

--------------------Time skip brought to you by the incredibly gorgeous Jason Tam--------------------

I flop down onto the hospital bed next to the one and only Richard Goranski. When he had a SQUIP he bullied Jeremy and I to no end, but now we get along rather well. And he's the only guy friend I have right now. Well, the only one I want to talk to. Even if Jeremy wanted to talk to me, it would be a little hard, what with his tongue now permanently in Christine's mouth.

"Sup." Rich nods his head at me. He's out of the full body cast, and now just has burns on his legs, and a broken arm.

"You don't have to hide the lisp Rich." I see Rich visibly relax. I don't know what it is he does to hide his lisp, that his SQUIP normally took care of for him, but it's clearly difficult. I find the lisp endearing though. Not that I'd ever tell Rich that.

"What happened at thchool? Rich sits up eagerly. He's gone stir crazy lately, still confined to the hospital for another week. I groan, hiding my face under the pillow. It smells like antiseptic.

"That bad huh?" I groan again in response. I hear a ton of rustling through the pillow, and peek out to see Rich scooching over, clearing a space on the bed. "Come thit. Tell Uncle Richie all bout it." He winks.

"Please never say that again." I crawl onto the bed beside him, subconsciously aware of our sides touching, and the cherry red tips of his hair tickling my shoulder. I'm short, but Rich is shorter.

"Yeah yeah. Whath up Mell." It's not that I don't trust Rich, I do. But I haven't told him that I'm gay yet. He came out to me as bi while he was high on morphine, and even hit on me a bit, but now that he's sober, I'm scared to tell him. But he is super sweet unsquipped, and I need to tell someone about Jeremy, or I'll go home and pout for hours. I take a deep breath preparing myself.

"Jeremy asked Christine to prom today. And they swapped saliva for like 10 min in the cafeteria."

"Grosth. Wait. THIT. Is prom this month?"

"Yeah it's in like two weeks. ANYWAYS. He asked her to prom. And she said yes."

"Well good for him. What exactly ith the problem?" I avert my gaze.

"I was hoping he was going to ask me." I mumble out. Rich's eyes widen for a moment, so brief I almost missed it.

"Well thit man. I'm thorry. That thucks." I nod sorrowfully. Rich smacks my arm.

"Lucky for you, Rich Goranski has a fool proof plan for getting over him. By the time prom rolth around, you'll forget you ever loved Heere." I stare at Rich in shock.

"You'll help me? Why?" I swear Rich starts blushing.

"Broths helping Broths."

"Bros helping Bros." I give Rich a weak fist bump. I don't know how fool proof Rich's plan is, but I'm so heartbroken I'll try anything.

It's time to get over Jeremy Heere.