15. The Real Reunion

wc: 2748

wc: 2748

——————-//——————

You sat alone in the waiting room at Saint Mungo's hospital, waiting for not one, but two unconscious patients. While also being one yourself. Does that count as three? But the Healer had allowed you to sit alongside Theseus while she monitored your vitals. Theseus would be out of this blessed place first, you knew. You'd done most of the work for his wounds, fortunately. Even the healers were impressed when you explained what happened. The head Healer even admitted that they didn't always understand the intricacies of muggle medicine. Well, to say you understood it would be a stretch. But you did your best.

The healers fixed the bulk of the damage on your shoulder and side in minutes, so you sat nervously now, waiting for any news.

You heard the sound of a door closing gently down the hall, and seconds later, the Healer returned to check on the both of you. Theseus had fallen asleep, as the events of the earlier day, the resulting aftermath, and the momentary major heart failure exhausted him. He had tried to stay awake with you, but his body overruled him, as did you. He needed rest. But for some reason, you could not bring yourself to do the same. Not yet. Not until you knew the condition of the other patient you dragged here. 

"Any word on the other patient that came in tonight?" You asked, earning you a polite 'No, miss. Still no word.' As polite as one could be for one answering the same question for the 78th time, anyway. You needed news. Good, bad, anything. Just an update. You would not rest until you knew the other patient was stable.

You stood, unable to keep still. The only other option was to pace. But once you stood and remembered the whole reason you were in St Mungo's (painfully), you regretfully returned to your seat in a huff, not sure what to do with yourself. Other than perhaps wallow in your misery with a large headache and a achingly throbbing hand. Not to mention the slowly regrowing ribs on your side. You sighed. This would prove to be a very long day. Not so much as the night before however. And you thanked your lucky stars for that. 

Maybe about a half an hour later, a soft knock echoed from the door, and after a moment, it revealed a most welcome sight. Mrs Scamander stood at the door in all her glory with her bright red hair braided loosely behind her prim shoulders and worry written all over her face.

"Mrs Scamander!" you exclaimed, standing slowly to greet her. You groaned and held your side painfully in the process. Normally, in a situation such as this, you might be embarrassed of yourself, maybe hide your pain from the person. But Mrs Scamander was so welcoming, and her many years taking care of animals translated wonderfully well to humans.

Mrs Scamander swept over to you and guided you back to your seat. "Hello my dear, how are you feeling?" She whispered, trying not to wake her sleeping  son nearby.

"Never better," you grunt sarcastically, but smile up at her regardless of yourself. You were glad to have her there with you. "Thank you for coming."

A small, sympathetic smile grew on her face. "I'm only glad you're both alright. I can't imagine what you went through together. Theseus mentioned what happened in the owl he sent me. I only received it five minutes ago," she added upon seeing the unspoken question in your eyes. You were glad he sent her that owl, you would have dreaded reliving the events of the night before again by writing them on paper. Even to the lovely Mrs Scamander, who now took a seat in an empty hospital chair next to you, letting out a troubled sigh. Her eyes were on her sleeping son, and you had a good idea as to what she was thinking. She watched his eyelids occasionally flutter and eyebrows furrow. You got the feeling he would not wake up rested. Not that you blamed him.