14. Chateau Danger

wc: 1816—————//—————-You had a bad feeling that this was the one

wc: 1816
—————//—————-
You had a bad feeling that this was the one.

"Theseus," you said suddenly. He flinched, looked back at you and relaxed a bit. Everyone was on edge. Any sort of sound, the snap of a twig, the rustle of the leaves overhead, even the sway of the wind, would surely set someone off. "Er- sorry. Theseus," you called to him gently. "If we see my brother, we can't hurt him, alright? We have proof he didn't mean any of it. I need to know what happened that night. Please, he's innocent." Something flashed in his eyes, but he nodded. You gave him a grateful look. Stress seemed to radiate from all of the aurors like the sound of a disgruntled beehive, especially from Theseus. Anything that went wrong tonight, any wrong move, any mistake, would weigh on him forever. And he already had the weight of the world on his shoulders. He motioned for the aurors to move out.

The group then tip toed down the mountain, wands drawn. A bird fluttered above your heads, and you saw a few heads momentarily snap up in alarm. Oh boy.

So far, there was no activity visible from the castle, not even a light on, but you weren't about to be fooled by Grindelwald again. Theseus cast a spell that revealed any signs of life, but the upper floors could not be penetrated by magic. That was odd. Worried, knowing glances were thrown around. There was no reason for a castle to have such protection spells if there weren't a wizard present. And there was only one wizard you knew who was currently residing in a castle like this.

You turned to study Theseus's face in the dim evening light. You had never seen that look on his face before. It was dark. Focused. But most of all worried and tense. He met your eyes. Instead of comforting words, which would surely be pointless now, you reached out, squeezing his hands, which were wrapped around his wand. They trembled, but you pretended you didn't notice. To everyone else, Theseus was steadfastly strong, confident, and unwavering. To you, he was all of these things too, but you saw the doubt he had hidden beneath the surface.

At Theseus's command, everyone apparated to the basement of the castle, into a terrifying pitch black abyss.

"Lumos," came a voice from ahead of you. You all followed that auror, ready for anything.

The aurors silently climbed the spiral stairs for what seemed like hours before a door appeared ahead of you. Theseus made his way to the front of the group, signaling for quiet and that the next part was going to be dangerous if this really was the place.

The hairs on the back of your neck rose uncomfortably.

Dread filled your senses as the door creaked open, flooding your eyes with light.

Spells and deadly curses flew past you almost immediately, and you knew you were in the right place. You fired at anyone you didn't recognize as an auror. Which was a worryingly large amount of the wizards and witches present.

No one could stick to the plan to stay together. It was as if the plan was destined to fail as soon as that door opened. You were supposed to stick together, but immediately were forced to scatter when it mattered most.