Chapter 26

hey guys! this is the first "action" sequence i've done, so let me know what you think. more action, more thinking? i really need constructive criticism, thanks!

also, i have a new cover, with my friend abbyjohnson modelling.

in addition, it's my friend simplysam 's birthday, so HAPPY BIRTHDAY SAM!!!

this is kinda a bloody chapter to dedicated to her though, isn't it? :P

alright, here we go

---

The silence stretches on, broken by nobody. Sixty seconds of tense silence, sixty seconds before we are allowed to run lose, sixty seconds before the slaughterfest begins. If we take one step past our positions before the minute is up, we will be blown into pieces. Everywhere I look, I see shifty eyes, shrewdly calculating the best way to finish everyone off. Of course, no one has made a move yet; no one has moved a step beyond their allotted space, but the intentions are clear in everybody's eyes- to kill and slaughter mercilessly, to only fend for oneself.

We are standing in a flat grassland, the golden Cornucopia shining and protruding oddly out of the flattened weeds. I calculate that it will take all but 20 seconds to dash to it, but it's not worth it. I won't be able to survive the bloodbath that is bound to happen.

Inside the wide-rimmed horn, I can spot a few things I am itching to get my hands on, while the objects next to me are mostly useless tools- a roll of paper towels, or a packet of hot sauce. How can those items compare to the luxuries hidden inside the Cornucopia- spears, tents, and jugs of water, among other things? I am sorely tempted to fight for these handy objects, but I know that I am not cut out for the fighting. If anyone would be able to make it out of the initial bloodbath of the Cornucopia alive, it would be Katniss, but she is too smart to cast off Haymitch's instructions to retreat as quickly as possible. I search the flat, empty playing field for her and see her a few people down, her face set resolutely and a few loose strands of hair blowing fiercely in the wind. However, she, like me, seems to be captivated by the weapons in the Cornucopia, her eyes set on a pack of slender arrows. I catch her eye and shake my head slightly, trying to warn her that we have both been instructed to take what we can and run.

In the corner of my eye, I see a bird fly away, disappearing into the clouds. I bite my tongue, wishing I could do that.

The gong sounds, shattering the silence. All I can hear are loud shouts and grunts, sending my mind into confusion. I quickly gather my wits about myself and start backing towards a dense thicket. Up in the middle of the arena, the massacre has already stared, the golden surface of the Cornucopia littered with ominous splatters of blood. A spear whizzes by my ear, so close it raises the hair of my neck and I stumble backwards, whipping around to see who threw it. A boy with flaming red hair from District 4 is grinning at me malevolently, grasping two more spears. Too late, I realize I have no weapon to hurl back at him and I watch helplessly as he balances another one in his muscled arms and pulls his arm back, ready to throw it at me. My mind tells me to move backwards, but I am frozen in fear. My knees seem to be locked and my arms feel stiff as I stare at him in horror.

Suddenly, he lurches forward and his green shirt begins to be stained with blood, the red liquid seeping across the fabric. I smile at my savior, grateful for her help, but I realize her attention is already drawn to someone else, someone who is running as fast as lightening, her brown braid whipping from side to side. A flash of silver passes her head and she picks up speed, making a mad dash to the thicket.

The girl who saved my life smiles widely and picks out something else from her knapsack- another dagger to hurl at Katniss. Without another thought, I launch myself towards her, desperate to throw myself between her and Katniss even though I know I won't make it in time. My feet pound against the floor desperately and I trip over a heavy object, soaking my pants in a gooey red liquid. Looking down, I realize I have tripped over a dying tribute, her eyes still wide open. She is clutching a small bag to her chest and without a second thought, I snatch it from her and whisper a hasty "I'm sorry." Then I am off again, running off towards Katniss. The dagger punctures the bright orange backpack she has on her back and I turn towards the girl throwing knives, incensed.

Running even faster than before, I finally make it in between the two girls, just as the knife-thrower launches a third dagger at Katniss with a swift flick of the hand. I jump up to intercept it, trying to save Katniss's life. Goodbye, I whisper in my head. At least I helped her.

To my surprise, the knife does little damage, slicing my arm instead of stabbing through my body. I fall to the floor in pain, watching as the blood stains my shirt a dirty mud color. I yank the knife out of my arm, wincing, just in time to see the girl who threw it advancing on me, her face composed in an evil grin.

She seems to be out of knives.

Without even registering what I am doing, I hurl the weapon I just pulled out of my arm at her and watch as her eyes widen in surprise. If she had waited even a fraction of a second longer, the knife would have gone straight through her neck, but she ducks just in the nick of time. She stops in her tracks, her eyes glittering, and she seems to appraise me for a second. I recognize those malevolent eyes now- she is the vicious girl from District 2.

I don't want to turn my back to her lest she try to kill me, but I can't help but look back at the forest quickly. Katniss has already disappeared into its depths. Either that, or she has been killed. When I turn my head back to meet the eyes of the girl from District 2. Finally, she takes a small, cautious step forward. I stumble up and glare at her from afar, vaguely aware that my arm is still dripping blood.

She takes another step forward and says, "You're handy with a knife."

I blink, surprised that she hasn't tried to kill me yet. But maybe this is just a ruse to get me to be comfortable. She clears her throat and I wrinkle my eyebrows uncertainly.

"We could use you as an ally. In a group, I mean," she says, already confident that I will accept her offer. When I seem to waver, she quickly adds, "You'll be with the Career Tributes. Best protection you'll ever have."

I restrain myself from pointing out that they will end up stabbing my back. Quickly, I go over the options in my head. I can disagree and have them kill me, or I can pretend to band with them, which will benefit both me and Katniss. She will think so badly of me after I do this, but it is the best for both of us. Jerkily, I nod my head at the District 2 girl and she gestures for me to walk over to her.

I approach her cautiously, not wanting to turn my back to her. By now, the battle at the Cornucopia has already dispersed and the cannons are firing off shots, counting how many deaths there have been today. Boom, boom, boom. The cannon goes off eleven times, meaning that there are still thirteen tributes alive. Eleven of them are my enemies, one of which I am walking right next to.

We are walking side by side into the brush surrounding the forest, further than an arm's length from each other. It is plain that for now, we are both wary of one another. She keeps giving me sidelong glances with a mischievous glint in her eyes. All I can think of for now, though, is Katniss, hoping beyond hope that she is still alive. I wonder where she is now, and can't help but feel that I have failed her, failed to protect her.

I hear a rustling from the brush behind me and whip around in fright. I meet the eyes of a tall, muscular boy with black eyes that seem like endless tunnels. "Hello, lover boy," he says with a snide grin. The girl from District 2 moves closer and I run.

---

vote!

comment!

er help me make this better :P