Twenty Two

Chapter Six

This went on for months and I was starting to get restless, they never deviated on what they wanted, salad and magical dressing.

The only good thing about the last two months was that there was no sign of the demon inside of me or anything else to give my life grief. The fact was I was bored scared me. I decided to bring it up to Jamma after everyone left tonight but I was still standing at the butchers block, I was cleaning it with half a lemon when Jamma sat down across from me.

"You need your own space, don't you?"

"No, I need something, but I can't put my finger on it." I said leaving the lemon sitting on the butcher block and walking around to sit across from her.

"You need your familiar."

"I don't need Crispin, he's a sadistic asshole."

"There's the anger again, it seeps in when you are alone doesn't it."

"No."

"Liar."

"I'm not lying, I just need some time. It's like I'm in a time loop repeating the same day over and over. It's very frustrating and I haven't learned to be a witch."

Jamma started to laugh and I gave her an evil look. "You can't learn to be a witch Poppy, you are a witch. It will come naturally, you create magic everywhere you go and with everything you touch. Come I have something to show you."

She pulled me out of the chair and led me out of the house, through the garden and a field of lavender. "Aren't they beautiful?" I mused as my hand ran over the top of the blooming shrubs.

"Yes."

Jamma led me down a trail through a lovely forest, the birds were singing and the sun was shining brightly. "Where are we going?"

"It's not far now."

"What's not far?"

"Your new house." She said as she moved out of the way so I could see in front of her, I couldn't believe my eyes. There sitting off in the distance was a small cottage, it was made of stone and the brightly painted purple door and a wraparound porch finished it off perfectly.

"What? I mean why?"

"We thought as a collective that you need your own space, don't worry. You will still have a lot of visitors but now they will teach you before they eat. Do you think you're ready?"

I couldn't hide my smile, I loved it. I was so ready to get out of Jamma's house and away from all the witches. "There's a garden out back but nothing's growing yet." She started for the cabin and I ran to catch up. "Normally a witch stays with her mother or his father until they have finally learned their craft, but that hasn't happened in centuries so we are rusty and the fact your mother is gone." We both stopped and we just stared at the door that was right in front of us. "You look like her you know." She said as she turned to me and pushed a stray piece of hair behind my ear.

"Do I? I'm not sure how I look. I've changed so many times."

"You are young you're still finding your real self. Personally, I like you as a red head and the freckles but you always go back to the knockout blonde."

"I do." I said as I touched my hair, sure enough it was blonde. "I hadn't noticed. No mirrors."

"I have mirrors, why didn't you ask."