Chapter 11: My Son

Chapter 11

My Son

I woke up from a rather peaceful sleep. Rolling over, I saw the bed was empty, and the alpha was nowhere to be seen. The sink turned on in the bathroom. Grabbing the covers, I pulled them further up my chest.

Rush walked out wearing a suit. He glanced at me and sighed. Picking up a set of folded clothes for a desk by the wall, he set them on the end of the bed. “Get dressed, and go back to your room.” He left the room without another word.

Sitting up, I leaned over my knees and rest my head on them. I would prefer if he’d just let me go home. With Brock still on the loss though, I doubt he’ll ever let me leave.

Tossing the covers to the side, I grabbed the clothes and went to the bathroom. After taking a shower, I got dressed and did as the alpha said, went back to my room. I sat on the bed and leaned against the wall.

First Brock and now him. Constantly being ordered around by dominants, it was really starting to wear on me.

***

I sat two chairs down from the alpha that night at dinner. He hadn’t said much, but the simple mundane questions of how was my day. I answered them with a similar mundane reply of it was fine. In reality, I spend all day worrying about my son and mate.

Resting my elbow on the table, I stirred my pasta around my bowl.

“Do you want something else?”

I glanced up at Rush, who was doing something on his tablet.

“They said you haven’t eaten much today.” He clicked on something before flipping the cover over the screen. “I can have them bring you something else.”

“No,” I said softly. “I was just thinking.”

Rush nodded and started eating. I followed suit, but my mind was still wondering to every ‘what if’ situation possible.

“I’m sorry.”

I put my fork down and turned to the alpha.

He didn’t look at me. “About yesterday. I was angry, and I let it show.” His eyes flashed up for a moment. “But what I said about Brock still stands. He went rogue. Allowing a traitor to return would look poorly on the pack, make us seem weak.” He sat back in his chair and tapped his finger on the table. “Even city packs have reputations, Vincent. If we hope to survive in this world we can’t let our fall because of one wolf. I’m sorry, but that is my verdict and it will not be changing.”

“So killing him is the only answer,” I whispered, “to protect our image.”

Rush stood and grabbed his cup. He finished it before calmly putting it back on the table. “If he tries to return, yes. If he hurts Stephen, yes. Even if he refuses to give the boy back when we catch him, yes, I will have him killed. But if he gives the boy back and stays away from my pack,” Rush shrugged. “Maybe, just maybe I’ll reconsider. Please try to eat something, Vincent, you’re making the women worry.”

I watched him exit the room and sunk deep into my chair. If Brock corporate, he would have a chance to live, but we would never be a family again. I hugged my arms around my chest. Going rogue wasn’t an option for a sub. We need the protection of a pack. Even with my mate, it would be dangerous. Any pack could come along, kill him and take me.

I covered my mouth and closed my eyes. My son was also born to Windcrest pack. If Rush did miraculously let me go, he’d still have the rights to my son. They’d take him away from me again and this time for good.

Leaning over, I rested my head on the table. Every option I had ended poorly. Maybe it was time to accept that even though I loved my mate, it was best to let him go. I couldn’t have both. I couldn’t have Stephen and Brock.

Sitting up tall, I took a deep breath.

My son, that’s who I wanted. Stephen more important to me than any man, even my mate.

****

It's short, I know. It is so, so, so short, but I'll try to update demon today to make up for it! It was just a really good place to end, so yeah... I ended it lol