Chapter 14: the end of the begining

The day of the execution had arrived and Governor Swann, Elizabeth and I were making our way to the fort via carriage, and yes, I was wearing one of those massive dresses, dark hair hanging over one shoulder.

"This should be good!" said Mr. Swann rubbing his hands together. Elizabeth and I stayed silent.

The ride there had been uneventful and boring, with only the view from the window to keep me entertained. As I stared at the cobblestone road I saw something that made me gasp. 

"Stop!" I ordered and the carriage slowed to a stop. I opened the door and jumped out. There on the pavement lay a familiar looking necklace. I picked it up and ran my fingers gingerly over the three small stones, careful not to press down on them. I put it on and slipped it under the bodice of my dress, climbing back into the carriage.

"What was it?" asked Elizabeth, curiously.

"Nothing. I just thought I saw something I recognised." 

Satisfied with my answer, she went back to fidgeting in her seat and I went back to staring out the window. Soon I saw two guards in red standing to attention outside an iron gate. We stopped and got out and the Governor nodded to the guards who nodded back, letting us in.

Inside a large crowd had gathered and in the middle of the crowd was a wooden structure with a platform and a ladder leading up to it. hanging from the structure was a piece or rope, a noose at the end. Ladies in fancy dresses and men in coats with frills and knee-high white socks were talking excitedly.

"I see a number of people have gathered to witness the death of Jack Sparrow," Norrington said, walking up to us. I did my best to not punch him in the face.

"Yes," said Elizabeth in a an extremely fake happy tone. She shot me a look of annoyance and I returned a shrug of sympathy.

"Shall we go to our designated areas?" he asked, holding out his arm to her.

"Lets," she answered and mimed puking as she turned to walk with him. I followed behind with Elizabeth's father, who was staring at the two.

"Don't you think they make such a lovely couple?" he asked.

"If you ask for my opinion, begging your pardon, I'd say no bloody way in hell."

"I see. And this is because...?" He turned to me, expectantly.

"Look at her!" I said, gesturing to Elizabeth, who was dragging her feet and slouching slightly. "Does she look happy to you?"

"Of course not! I blame the blacksmith, personally. He has effected her far too greatly. If she stayed with the Commodore for a while, she might become her old self again."

I looked through the crowd and spotted Will, who was wearing an interesting hat. It was big, with a feather in it. Something told me it hadn't been cheap. He also had on a red cloak.

"I think her old self won't be able to return at all, no matter who she stays with," I said, coming to stand next to Elizabeth at the top of a small flight of stairs.

I smiled to her and she forced a smile back. "We should have thought of something by now," she whispered.

I fingered the necklace and grinned. "I think I might have a plan."

"What?" She turned to me in surprise.

"You'll have to wait and see," I said. "It'll be a one person job, and that one person will be me."

"If you insist."

 We were silent after that. I wasn't sure if my plan would actually work, but I had to try. It was my last shot at two things.

The crowd settled down as one of the navy officers brought out Jack, his hands tied with rope. A drum roll started and he was led up to the wooden platform. He was  followed by a man with a wig and really small glasses. Jack then stood just behind the noose.

The man with the glasses stepped forward, holding a scroll. "Jack Sparrow," He read aloud. "Be it know that you have..."

"Captain, Captain Jack Sparrow," Jack muttered angrily and I stifled a laugh.

The man then went on to talk about various crimes against the crown when Elizabeth said, "This is wrong."

"Commodore Norrington is bound by the law," her father said. "As are we all."

I looked back at Jack, who seemed to be pleased with something the man with glasses had said.

The rest of what the man said was a bit of a blur until the end of his speech. "And for these crimes you have been sentenced to be, on this day, hung by the neck until dead. "May god have mercy on your soul."

Will pushed through the crowd until he was standing in front of us. "Governor Swann. Commodore. Clove, thank you. Elizabeth; I should have to you every day from the moment I met you. I love you." As he walked away I looked at Elizabeth and smiled. That had been coming for a while. 

I turned back to Jack, who was having the noose put around his neck by the executioner who had been standing off to the side. A small commotion had started in the crowd and I saw Will pushing his way through the crowd towards the gallows.

Norrington was about to call for reinforcements, when Elizabeth started waving her fan frantically. "I can't breath," she said and fell onto the floor.

"Elizabeth!" her father exclaimed and he and Norrington went to assist her.

I silently thanked her for the distraction and ran after Will. He had almost reached the gallows when the executioner pulled back a leaver, making the trapdoor under Jacks feet fall.

"Move!" Will yelled, and he threw a sword towards Jacks feet. Thankfully it missed and hit the trapdoor, just bellow him, making a foothold.

He kept running as I yelled at him. "What were you doing? You could have hurt him!" I was promptly ignored though, as he had started fighting through the crowd. I saw what he was doing and grabbed a dagger from a man standing next to me. I threw it at the noose and it sliced through, freeing Jack.

"Thanks," Will said. Naval officers were starting to surround us now, and I ran up to where Jack had just cut his hands free, using the sword Will threw.

He ran past me and I tried to yank the sword from the wooden trapdoor, but it was stuck fast. I cursed under my breath and tried again, freeing it this time. I saw Will and Jack running past navy men and up to a balcony.

It was easy to see they would be surrounded easily from there, but I ran up to them anyway, running one of the redcoats through with the sword. "Guys," I said once I reached them. "Very bad idea!"

We had just ran past a pillar when, as I had predicted, we were surrounded by at least twenty men. Norrington came through the crowd and stood before us. "I thought we might have to endure some manner of ill-conceived escape attempt, but not from you two," he said to Will and I.

Govenor Swann pushed his way past the men too. "On return to Port Royal, I-"

"Sorry Governor. I have to say something before you go on," I said, steping closer to Jack. "I'm from the future. Yeah." They all looked at me like I was mad. "Ask Lizzie or something or something. She knows the details."

"Eliazbeth?" asked Will, looking a bit hurt and surprised.

"Yup." I turned back to Norrington. "Sorry sir, but I'll be taking Captain Sparrow from your custody now." I grabbed the pirates hand and pressed the ruby. The rushing sensation came back to me, and I laughed. After a while my finger moved to the amethyst, stopping us. 

I looked around me and saw I was in a Forest. "The arena," I muttered.

I was about to wander off in search of my fellow careers when a voice from behind me said, "You've got a lot of explaining to do, love."

AN She's back in the arena! With Jack! Anyway, not my best chapter, I know, but I wanted to upload again before I went away. 11 votes and 7 comments this time... and please fan, if you feel like it. 

I soooo yeah. I saw WASO playing the soundtrack to a screening of curse of the black pearl last night!!! It was AWESOME! XD