A Book, A Battle, And A Boom

Sanem had a theory; if Yigit expected them to do something, then he would expect them to not waste time getting on with it. She believed, and hoped, that if they could keep quiet until the first cautious traces of dawn began to peek their way through the night sky, that Yigit's guard would drop, and the occasional pacing of his lookout on the other side of the door would eventually cease. Ideally, he would mistakenly think his guest were fast asleep and eventually give in to it himself. That way, they might actually stand a chance of making this work.

Sanem let Deren sleep, one of them might as well have gotten some rest - as she counted the minutes between the quiet footfalls on the other side of the door, pinching her arm every time her eyes began to droop too much, amusing herself with exploring the contents of the room and rummaging through the first mate's belongings. She wondered where the poor sod had been evicted to for the night.

She didn't find much of interest, but a silver telescope with a pretty golden inlaid design caught her attention. She slipped it into her pocket.

---

It was near morning when Sanem pried the door open to peer outside, the lookout hadn't been past in almost an hour, perhaps he had finally closed his eyes somewhere and been unable to open them again. Though it would be unlikely if he were the only one awake and on watch, but the deck looked empty. The ship was quiet.

Sanem turned back into the room, her heart beginning to jump around in her chest both from excitement and fear. They needed to be careful for this to work.

Deren's 'good morning' came in the form of muffled swearing as Sanem shook her awake, her co-captain had never particularly liked rising before the sun but Sanem was sure that her mumbled 'fuck off,' was bordering insubordination.

A feathered pillow slapped against her head finally, involuntarily, woke Deren up.

"I'm awake." Deren groaned regretfully. "I'm awake."

---

Sanem creaked the door open again, taking a careful look around before she waved for Deren to follow. Despite the darkness, she was sure she could make out Bulut's figure up the rail lines of the Albatross. He should be ready and waiting for her signal.

They crept towards the staircase that would take them below deck and hopefully to where the book was hidden. The first flight took them down towards the sound of snoring. Sanem avoided the doorway leading to where a canopy of hammocks held the majority of Yigit's sleeping crew, continuing down.

The stairs eventually stopped descending, but with a ship this size there should have been at least another level before they reached the base. But she hadn't expected Yigit's stash to be easy to find.

"We just have to find the lower levels, snoop around a bit," Sanem whispered to Deren as they tentatively started down one of the hallways. "We'll find the book. Hopefully we can -."

Yigit's curly haired servant suddenly appeared behind the corner, practically bumping into them. His eyes went wide, Sanem was pretty sure hers were doing the same.

"What are you doing?" The poor boy looked as if he'd really been hoping to get through the night without them causing any trouble.

Sanem's arms seemed to respond before her brain did, grabbing the telescope from her pocket and two-handedly whacking it against the side of his skull before he could even blink. He dropped to the floor like a sack of potatoes. "Sorry." She apologised, before noticing the spyglass had just shattered in her hands. "Shit." Sanem whined, turning it over in her hands. "It was so pretty."