Day 9

Ten Reasons Not To Die

Day 9- The Future

                “I guess I have one more day, huh?” Evan whispered.

                We were lying at some cornfield that was deserted by some farmer ages ago. The dried up hay tickled my neck, and made me itchy, but I wasn’t complaining at all. I was right next to Evan, our shoulders barely touching, and we were both staring up at the sun.

                “I guess so.” I muttered. I hadn’t even thought about our deal during these past few days. Had it really been nine days already? A shiver went down my spine, as I looked over at the boy beside me, who looked defeated and disappointed, yet still determined.

                I licked my dry lips, wondering why I hadn’t scared him off yet. It had been nine days already, most people who knew about me would’ve ran away by now. But why hasn’t Evan?

                “Days went by a lot quicker than I thought it would.” Evan muttered, so quietly that it was barely audible.

                I let out a low laugh. “It did, didn’t it?”

                “I wish it hadn’t, though.” Evan sighed.

                I turned towards him, so that my body was facing his. Raising an eyebrow, I asked him, “What do you mean by that?”

                Evan looked uneasy, as if he hadn’t figured out quite yet what he wanted to say. He tucked his hand behind his neck, as he scratched it nervously. “I don’t know.” He sighed. “I mean, I actually had a lot of fun these past few days. I never want it to end. So what happens to me when you decide to leave? I’m going to spend the rest of my life wondering what I could’ve done better to save you.”

                I felt my heart sink to the bottom of my stomach, as I gulped. Never have I ever in my life felt so many emotions at one time. There was happiness, sadness, and even guilt.

                Evan interrupted my thoughts with a bitter laugh that never reached those gorgeous green eyes of his. “I can tell that you aren’t happy by the expression on your face.” He smiled faintly, tucking a strand of hair behind my ears, something that he does regularly now. “Don’t blame yourself, okay? I got myself into this, remember?”

                My mind flashed back to when I was just a mere inch from falling down that cliff, when Evan came and pushed me off to the side.

                “Give me ten days, and I can give you ten reasons not to die.” Evan paused. “And if I can’t change your mind by then, you can go jump off that cliff.”

*

                Later that evening, Evan drove me back to the orphanage. It was half past nine, and all of the children were probably asleep by now. I had missed dinner tonight, and I was sure that Mother Grace would’ve been angry at me. But when stepped inside the orphanage with Evan when he had brought me home, Mother Grace came running towards me with a large, manila envelope in her hands.

                “Remy, darling!” she beamed. “I’ve been waiting for you all night! Where have you been?”

                I frowned, wondering what Mother Grace was so excited about. “I was just out with Evan, that’s all.”

                Evan gave Mother Grace a wave, as she grinned. “Great! More people to celebrate with!”

                “What?” I asked, clearly confused. “Mother Grace, what on Earth are you talking about?”

                Mother Grace flashed the envelope towards me, as I grabbed it from her. It was addressed to me, from Brown University, one of the universities that I applied to earlier this year. My eyes widened, as I stared at the address carefully, making sure that my eyes weren’t deceiving me.

                “Brown University?” Evan said, a smile spreading across those rosy red lips of his. “Open it, Remy!”

                I bit my lower lip, as I tore open the envelope cautiously, making sure I didn’t rip anything inside.

                “Can’t you open it any faster?” Mother Grace snapped. “The suspense is killing me here!”

                I laughed, as I tore the envelope open with one big rip. I let out of the empty envelope, clutching onto the packet I received tightly.

                “Dear Remy Montgomery,” I skimmed through the letter, skipping the useless information, “we are proud to inform you that you have been accepted into Brown University!”

                Mother Grace let out a shrill, as I couldn’t stop myself from smiling. Mother Grace wrapped her arms around me, and I could feel her tears leaking through my shirt. “Oh, Remy! I knew you would make it! I’m so proud of you!”

                I pulled away from Mother Grace, as I wiped away the tears of happiness that filled my eyes. I read through the packet, biting my lips from excitement. “Oh my Lord, Mother Grace.” I gasped, reading through a line in the letter carefully. “I’m on full scholarship!”

                Mother Grace squealed, clamping a hand over her lips. “I need to go tell the other nuns about this!” she gushed. “I’ll be right back!”

                I watched as she scurried out of the room, running up the stairs. “Sister Mary! Sister Mary, we have news for you!” she called out, probably waking up some kids in the process.

                I laughed, as I turned back towards Evan, who had been silent the entire time. He had a faint smile across his lips, but he hadn’t said a word since I’ve opened the letter.

                “Evan?” I smiled. “Can you believe it? Brown University wants me!”

                Evan still wouldn’t utter a word, which made my smile drop. I began to frown, as I stared at him cautiously. “Evan, is there something wro-“

                Before I got to finish my sentence, Evan had wrapped his arms around me, giving me a bone crushing hug. He held me tightly and protectively, his chin resting on the top of my head.

                And even though I could barely breathe, everything just felt so right.

                “You have such a whole life ahead of you.” Evan’s hot breath tickled my ear. “I want to watch you grow.”