The dogtag's premonition?

CHRISTIANE’S POV…

Like magic…all the weariness I felt a while ago was gone when the boat that will bring me to island started its smooth journey across the Guimaras Straight…the body of water that separates Iloilo from Guimaras. 

I took a deep breath of the fresh air…its salty scent is like water that is slowly quenching the thirst of my soul.  It is very far from the polluted odor of the city atmosphere.  I stretched my long legs and relax while watching the clear blue water being sliced into two by the pointed body of the boat.  I closed my eyes and feel the soft cool breeze that kissed my skin…I can feel how it loosen up the tired muscles of my body and slowly lulling me to sleep.  I fight the urged to give-in…this is not the time to sleep…I want to enjoy the scenery of this place that keep haunting me even when I’m still in Texas.

The island that rest across the sea is mostly covered with greeneries…one sign that the place remains unspoiled.  I admire how residents has able to preserve the natural beauty of this island…one can immediately tell its big difference from the booming industry of Iloilo.  I took my camera and take some pictures.  I promised Grandpa to send him pictures as soon as I arrived here.  I just hope there is an internet connection wherever I decided to stay.  I don’t want to stay with Grandma’s relatives.  I want to be alone and be with myself…to think…to have a recollection of what happened to my life…to be at peace. 

I put my camera around my neck as soon as I saw the wharf's coming into view.  The 15 minute boat ride is about to end and my adventure is about to begin.  I comb my short hair with my hand and clasp the dogtag that hangs on my neck.  Since I entered the service…it is already my ritual to say a silent pray while clasping my dogtag before I start a task for the day.  And today is no different…

I heard the groaning of the engine of the boat as it maneuvered its way towards the wharf.  I closed my eyes and clutched the two metals of my dogtag and say a little prayer asking for guidance and protection.  I was astounded when I felt a searing heat that comes from my dogtag rushed and entered my body.  I was shocked and opened my eyes…just in time to meet a pair of eyes…eyes that are dark as the night looking straight at me.

I was surprised…she is the same girl I meet on the plane... my seatmate.  I smiled at her…she looked at me as if in horror…then blinked several times and then immediately looked away.  I felt confused with her reaction…she acts as if she saw a ghost and was scared.

 I felt baffled… this is the first time that I felt something different or unusual from my dogtag, is this a sort of a premonition?  I was also puzzled with the reaction of the woman…first on the plane she seemed distant and a total snub, now she look at me like I have grown three heads.

I try to calm myself…I have to think straight.  The more that I am puzzled…the more I become eager to look for answers to my questions. I set aside the creepy ideas that are playing on my mind…I am not a person that can be easily scared of some things that I can’t explain. 

 I touched the dogtag again…but this time I can’t feel anything unusual.  The boat has already anchored on the wharf and the passengers are already hurrying to disembark.  I saw the girl with the black eyes gathering her things and hurriedly balanced her way down the boat.  I took my backpack and followed the other remaining passengers that lined-up to disembark. 

‘Where to go now Christiane?  You left home in haze…now your scurrying to go somewhere else without a plan.  You’re like a soldier dashing to the battle unplanned and unarmed,” I scold to myself as I carried my backpack and walk down the boat.

THREE HOURS LATER…

            I was amazed by this beautiful place…I thought this only exist in movies and  magazines…but indeed its real.  Island paradise with pristine clear blue waters…and long white seashores greeted me as I reached Baras… one of the island resort in Guimaras.  At first I was confused why the woman in the tourism office located at the wharf told me that I still have to travel by boat again if I go to this place.  I thought Guimaras is only a small place but I as wrong…it is also composed of several small islands and Baras is one of them.  The boat that carried me is smaller than the one I rode from Iloilo to the wharf.  But I really enjoyed the short ride…aside from the beautiful scenery…I was amazed by the untouched beauty of the corrals under the water.  It’s like looking at a giant aquarium.