Two Weeks in Eden...

CHRISTIANE’S POV…

Travelling halfway around the world is exhausting…but the adventurous side of me thinks it’s fun and exciting.  With my backpacks and passport at hand…I left Texas with only one thing in my mind…to find the place they call GUIMARAS.  

I think many of you will wonder what’s in this place???  Or does this place really exist?  Well the answer is definitely a big “YES!”  My grandpa who is a retired army soldier once a upon a time able to visit this place… and instantly feels in love with it.  Years passed and he went home in Texas but apparently, a part of him was left behind in that island.  

Yes Guimaras is an Island…one of the islands in the archipelago of the Philippines.  Grandpa used to tell me his escapades while he is there.  But the funniest of all is his story when he was caught by a woman swimming naked on the white sand beach under the moonlit night. That woman eventually becomes my grandma.   I was enthralled by that story and the name Guimaras keeps haunting my mind as if calling me home.    That’s why I’m here…in this crowded airport waiting for my flight.  

This is really an adventure for me…I was born and grow up in Texas, although I am a half-breed Filipino… my Mom who is the daughter of Grandpa and Grandma (did I say Grandma is a Filipino?) married an American soldier and that’s makes me a half-half…or one-third or whatever…a Filipino-American…Ugh…does that make any sense at all?

They say being a soldier runs in the blood…my Grandpa is a soldier…my Dad is a soldier and so am I.  I entered the military service when  I turned 18 years old.

  At first I hate it because I thought my parents decided to push me into this job to get rid of me.  And why not? Since I’m in grade school I am always the cause of trouble both at home and at school.  I was the black sheep of the family.  I was always involve in gang-wars…how many times Mom claimed me at the police station because of being caught vandalizing in our community.  But later on I realized that their decision was for my own good.  I learned to comprehend the word DISCIPLINE inside the military camp.  I learned how important it is to toe the line for the good of everybody.   

Being in the service is not easy…you have to deal with so many issues especially discrimination from your male collegues.  Five years after joining the US Army troopers…I gained so many things… and one is… a woman can do things better than a man.  Oh by the way I forgot to tell you… I am First Lieutenant Christiane Smith and I am a woman.   A woman…maybe physically…but I love women as well. Yes…I’m a gay and I’m proud to be one.  Being in a relationship with the same sex in the army is not a question as long as you do it not in a scandalous way.

Ohhhhhh… talking about relationships…we will skip that topic…I hate talking about that subject.  That is one of the reasons why I’m on the go right now.  

 I checked my watch…its 4:00 o’clock in the morning…just then the announcement for our flight echoed inside the building…its boarding time.  At last…time to go…I carried my backpack and fall in line with the other passengers.  My tired muscles are yearning for a comfortable bed. I feel sticky as well…a warm soothing shower would be heaven.  I’m on the road…as well as on the airports for the last 34 hours and I swear it’s not a joke to stay awake specially on jam-packed airports like this.  

I tried to suppress a yawn…maybe…just maybe…I can have a couple of minutes nap in the airplane.  The flight is not that long according to my information…it will take only 35 minutes air travel from Manila to Iloilo…and from that place…I will travel again to that island.

I was seated at the left wing of the plane and so thankful that my seat is just beside the window.  I love to watch the scenery on the aerial view. During my basic training in the army…our air to ground military exercise is one of my favorite part.  I’m a risk taker…and I’m very fascinated with every danger I encounter.