Chapter Four

Chapter 4:

“Yeah it was nice meeting you too.” I give a weak smile to the young boy I just took a picture with,

“Come on, Jimmy.” The mom says taking her sons hand rolling her eyes, I chuckle remembering when she told me his name was Mason but ever since R-Truth came up with little Jimmy it’s all he will answer to. That was the last one…I think my heart in the pit of my stomach, it was silly to think she would show up since I’m back in Atlanta, Georgia but a piece of me just couldn’t help it.

“Dude, do I have a surprise for you!” Mike grins, as he approaches me clasping his hands together, ugh not now, can’t I grieve without someone ruining it? I grab my phone off the table and turn to him.

“What?” He grins bigger if that was even possible, holding up a finger for me to wait he feels around in his pockets first his face had frustration then worry as he searches more frantic. “Mike, I don’t have time for this.” I groan pushing past him,

“No, wait. It has to be here, I just had it!” His blue eyes wide as he walks over to the table emptying his pockets, keys, gum, some change, phone and a wallet fall on the table. He goes through his other pockets now too, nothing but a few receipts.

“Whoa, gum, life changing surprise.” I roll my eyes turning to walk away, he catches my wrist his forehead was beading sweat and he was very pale even through his fake tan and I knew something was seriously wrong. “Mike, what did you do?”

“I- th- there, it…” he stammers obviously trying to avoid saying this he was still digging in his empty pockets hoping he had missed something, “It has to be back at my station!” He finally yells like an aha moment.

“What is?” I question, he motions for me to stay here before turning to run back the way he came. I stand there tapping my foot, what the fuck is going on with him? He is taking way too long…Mike, Mikey-poo where are you? Ugh screw it. I grab his things off the table using my shirt to hold it as I walk over to his station the table was on its side tipped over and the chairs where all over the place.

“I know it’s here, I know it’s here…” Mike was chanting over and over as he crawls on his hands and knees searching for something, it looks like a tornado just tore this place apart.

“What are you doing?” He looks up and again all the color is gone from his face as he stands up on his knees, he looks like a deer in the headlights. “Hello?” I add waiting for him to answer; he does one more sweep of the place with his eyes before sighing.

 “Can we forget about this? If we don’t, I have a strong feeling you will murder me.” His eyes wide he runs his hand through his hair,

“Is it important? Can you tell me the topic and then I decide whether or not we can move on?” I question starting to feel a little worried there isn’t much someone could do that would make me want to murder them.

“Ugh, it’s probably important…I hope not though. Well, let’s just say I got a number from a girl for you it was going to be my gift to you.” He says weary climbing back to his feet, I furrow my brow.

“Uh, why would you think I wanted that this bad? You know I don’t date.” We stare at each other and the room was full of awkwardness he looks to floor almost as though he was ashamed. “I only want Maggie. It wasn’t her number was it?” I chuckle lightly at the silly thought, Mike doesn’t react at all and I start to feel weird. “Was it?” I add a tinge of anger arising,

“We said we weren’t going to talk about it anyways.” He says with a chuckle that seems to be pushed, he starts stuffing the things in my shirt back in his pockets as I stare at him and he refuses to look at me. “Wanna go grab a bite?” He adds.

“Mike, I swear if this is about Maggie and you don’t tell me right now I will hurt you.”

“It’s not.” He says plainly grabbing the last bits he adds again, “now bite to eat or no?” I stare stern trying to make him confess but nod slightly and he smiles. “Awesome.” He says in his normal way moving his head slightly like he always does when he speaks.

Across the street from the mall we end up at Checkers Drive-In sitting outside enjoying our juicy burgers, Mike hasn’t said much since the whole lost a girl’s number incident. I stare up at moon wondering if Maggie even lives in Atlanta she could have just been visiting, or drove from another city in Georgia. “You know I’ve been thinking…” Mike says suddenly, I turn to him he is chomping down on another bite before he speaks again. “Imma help you find this girl, something is telling me she likes you as much as you like her.” Wonder what made him change his mind…