[ CHAPTER FOUR ]

𝟏𝟖𝟔𝟐, 𝐌𝐲𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐜 𝐅𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐬

            Amelia was practically trembling in Roslyn's arms, small fingers tightly clutching at her mother as if she was going to disappear.

Her daughters usually tanned complex was a ghostly white, signifying how much Giuseppe had frightened her sweet child.

Heading out the grand doors of the property, Roslyn held Amelia closely as she tried to soothe her. "It's okay, my love. Mama's here."

The sound of Giuseppe's angered voice began to be drowned out by the sound of the rustling trees. Frowning, Amelia snuggled into her mother's chest, lips forming a small pout.

"I don't like Gus-Giuseppe." Amelia murmured quietly, struggling to pronounce the name.

Roslyn didn't cease in her movements as they made their way to the back of the property, her hooped skirt brushing against the dirty ground.

"I know, my love. But you need to be careful, you cannot let your step-brothers or Giuseppe know this." Roslyn responded, sighing as she rubbed her daughter's back.

Amelia only tightened her grip, eyes watering as Roslyn opened the wooden gate that would lead them to the stables.

Not only would going to the stables allow them to be further away from the house, freeing them from any listening ears, but it would also be a good distraction for Amelia.

Rather reluctantly, Giuseppe had bought Amelia a pony, a small chestnut mare that Amelia adored.

It had been a wedding gift for his new step-daughter, but it was evident to Roslyn that the only reason Giuseppe had bought the pony was for appearance.

Head perking up at the sound of the distinctive squeak of the gate, Amelia's sad expression brightened as she noticed where her mother was taking her.

"Can we see Aida mama!" Amelia asked, blinking away her tears, long lashes fluttering.

Roslyn chuckled, even as Amelia began eagerly kicking her legs, prompting for Roslyn to gently place Amelia back on the ground.

As soon as her small booted feet hit the cobbled ground, Amelia darted off towards Aida's stables, making Roslyn let out a laugh.

"Remember your helmet, my love!" Roslyn yelled, knowing her daughter would no doubt jump straight on Aida's back.

Leaning against the fence post, Roslyn smiled as the sound of the stable door opening, followed by the pitter pattering of horse hooves echoing throughout the courtyard.

"You okay?"

Roslyn jolted in surprise, whirling around to find Stefan opening the gate behind her. Flushing pink, Roslyn stepped aside, allowing Stefan to enter.