[ CHAPTER TWO ]

𝟏𝟖𝟔𝟐, 𝐌𝐲𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐜 𝐅𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐬

           It had been an entire month since her wedding to Giuseppe, the event itself had been rather modest, but Roslyn supposed Giuseppe must have already paid a large sum to her father beforehand.

They had hosted the ceremony at the Salvatore manner, the grand white brick building that was now classed as her home.

The Salvatore manner was much larger than William Forbes' home, and even her father's house.

The mansion had countless rooms, including a library, a wine cellar, a newly renovated playroom for Amelia, and a vast amount of land surrounding it.

Roslyn suspected Giuseppe had renovated one of the many spare rooms into a playroom for Amelia so she would be entertained, and in theory, out of his sight.

He showed little patience with young children, and even Damon, something which concerned her should she fall pregnant.

Roslyn was snapped out of her thoughts by the sight of her daughter running past the large window, her blonde hair flying behind her as she giggled.

Walking towards the window, Roslyn leaned forward, one hand resting against the glass as she smiled softly. It was nice to see her daughter so carefree.

No doubt the fact that Giuseppe had left the household that morning for council business, had lifted her daughter's spirit.

It was no secret her daughter was not keen on Giuseppe, not that Roslyn blamed Amelia.

He had limited the time Roslyn was spending with her daughter, informing her the girl should be with nannies, not with her mother, something Roslyn firmly disagreed with.

Though Giuseppe wasn't home, meaning Roslyn could dismiss the nannies and spend as much time with her daughter as she desired.

She was used to spending all day with her daughter, so seeing her for several hours a day was heart-breaking for Roslyn. She missed seeing her, but no matter what she said, she could not get through to her husband.

William had never minded the time Roslyn spent with Amelia, simply seeing it as saving money, rather than paying for a team of nannies.

Roslyn was snapped out of her thoughts by the sight of Stefan speeding past the window, chasing her giggling daughter as he grinned.

Smiling, Roslyn watched the encounter warmly.

Unlike Giuseppe, it seemed Amelia had taken a shine to Stefan. He would often play with her, wherever it was running around the gardens or taking her to see the horses.

He made time for Amelia and he was more than kind to Roslyn.

Damon was a different story though, it was evident he had a tense relationship with his father and clearly disapproved of Roslyn.

She sympathised with both Stefan and Damon.

It had been a mere four years since the death of their mother, and their father now had a new wife, a step daughter and should soon be having another child of his own.

Though Damon acted polite in front of his father, Damon had made his dislike evident through the odd comments.

He would often ignore her and had even gone as far as ignoring a confused Amelia.

"You can't get me!" Her daughter giggled, sticking her tongue out mischievously as she turned to pause in her step.

Moving away from the window, her daughter's giggles became louder and louder as she walked out the living room, noisily opening the front door.

Stefan now had Amelia over his shoulder, she was kicking wildly as he tickled her tummy, narrowly avoiding being kicked in the head as he lowered her to the ground.

Spotting her mother, Amelia grinned. "Mama! Help, Stefan got me!" She giggled.

Roslyn smiled warmly at her daughter. "Oh no!" She gasped dramatically.

Ceasing his merciless tickle attacks, Stefan helped Amelia to her feet. As soon as she was stood, she ran to her mother's skirts, tugging the soft material as Roslyn lowered herself to her daughter's level.

Running a hand through her daughter's wind-swept hair, Roslyn smiled. "Have you been having fun with Stefan, my love?"

Amelia nodded eagerly, giving her mother a toothy grin. "Yes mama! Stefan took me to see the horses."

Glancing up at Stefan, Roslyn met his eyes, smiling. "Did he?"

"I, uh, hope that's okay? I forgot to check." Stefan admitted, shuffling awkwardly on his feet as Roslyn beamed.

Shaking her head, she looked down at Amelia. "It's fine. Amelia loves horses, don't you?"

Her daughter nodded absent-mindedly, her active mind elsewhere as she suddenly turned to tap her mother's leg. "Oooh mama, look! A flower."

Amelia's eyes were trained on the blooming daffodil as she toddled forward, bending down to admire the flower.

Turning her attention to Stefan, Roslyn smiled. "Thank you, by the way."

Stefan seemed confused as he shoved his hands in his pocket. "For what?"

"For being so kind with Amelia. I know this must be hard for you and your brother."

His eyes held sympathy as he shook his head, sending her a tight-lipped smile. "She's a sweet kid. And believe me, I think this is harder on you. I'm sorry."

Pausing, Stefan glanced up towards the house, eyes cautious before he lowered his voice to a whisper. "You deserve better than my father."

Placing a hand on her arm, Stefan sent her a smile as she stared at him in surprise. Had those words really left Stefan's lips?

Before she could answer, Stefan walked away, kneeling down beside Amelia, helping her carefully pluck the flower from the soil before tucking it behind her ear.

As Roslyn watched the two, she never noticed the figure watching them through his bedroom window; a very irritated Damon.