Evelyn Green

It was a chili October evening at Hogwarts. Harry Ron and Hermione were sitting in the Great Hall after dinner, working on their potions homework, a five page essay on the properties of moonstone.

"This is stupid," said Ron. "Moonstone isn't nearly fascinating enough to write five pages about it"

"It's not that hard, Ron" said Hermione, "if you would just do your work instead of complaining you'd be done by now."

"Well if you could help me with this I will--"

Ron stopped talking in mid-sentence and stared across the room.

"Who is that??" He asked with a excited tone of voice.

Harry and Hermione turned to see a girl in Hufflepuff robes. She had curly black hair cut short to her chin, and wore black square rimmed glasses. She had pale skin and golden-yellow colored eyes.

She sat alone, reading a big book. There were about three other stacks of books surrounding her at the otherwise empty table.

"Isn't that Evelyn Green?" Harry said. "She's that shy girl from Hufflepuff. She's nice but good luck talking to her. She's extremely shy."

But Ron was already standing, ready to walk towards Evelyn.

She didn't look up from her book until he tapped her shoulder.

She looked up quickly with a frightened look in her golden eyes.

"Hi. I'm Ron."

She continued to look at him with scared eyes but didn't say anything.

"I saw you sitting here alone and thought maybe I could say hi.." He said in a more quiet voice, losing his confidence.

She looked down.

"Well anyway.. Sorry for bothering you.." He started to walk away, but when he turned to leave, he bumped into the table, knocking over a stack of books that were stacked haphazardly by the edge of the table.

"Oh! I'm so sorry" Ron knelt down to pick up the books.

"Oh you're working on the moonstone assignment too?" He asked while looking at the first book title, Moonstone: History, Properties, and Usage.

"I could probably help you write the essay if you'd like?" Even though he hasn't finished his own.

Evelyn then finally spoke in a quiet voice without looking at him, "I've already finished, thank you"

"Oh okay. Well maybe next time then?" He picked up the last of the stack of books. Werewolves Among Us.

"Oh studying werewolves too? What class is that for?"

Evelyn took the book from his hand quickly and started putting her books in her book bag to leave.

"Wait, I didn't mean to offend you, I'm sorry it's none of my business what you read." Ron said to her.

She looked at him. But took her books and left him standing there.

"How did it go?" Hermione asked when he returned to their table.

"I think I made her mad. I was just making conversation. I asked what class she was reading a book about werewolves for. Then she just left." Ron replied.

"Told you so." Harry said with a smirk. "Someone like you isn't going to get with someone like her. You're just not her type."

"So says you" muttered Ron, "I'll get through to her. Just you wait and see."