Here She Cries

"I heard the new Llorona movie is coming out this Friday, wanna go see it together?" Jessie asked as he looked over at Samantha who was driving. He had his phone in hand as he looked at the showtimes, checking out when the Curse of La Llorona would be playing.

Samantha glanced at her best friend for a second before turning her head back, keeping her eyes on the road ahead of her. Jessie always seemed to be looking for a new movie to watch together, so it didn't come to her surprise that he was already searching up the showtimes for a movie they'd inevitably watch, especially if he was persistent about it. Jessie often strayed away from horror movies, knowing Samantha wasn't a big fan of them, but this one seemed to have caught his attention.

"Llorana? What's that?" She wondered aloud as she put her signal on to turn left into Palacio Real drive. She waited for a response from Jessie, but was met with an odd silence, something out of character for a chatterbox like Jessie. She made sure no cars were coming before glancing back at her best friend only to be met with a puzzled look. "What?"

"Nothing, I'm just surprised you haven't heard about la Llorana. I mean she's pretty much the Mexican Bloody Mary." He placed his phone down in the cup holder that was between both him and Samantha. "I would have thought you'd know about the tale. You are pretty much a geek when it comes to history and what not." Jessie laughed when Samantha smacked his shoulder.

"Shut up. I'm not that much of a nerd." Samantha huffed, puffing her cheeks out as she finally turned left into Palacio Real after several cars had passed by. Something about the name "Llorona" had rung familiar. Her stomach had churned when the name had been mentioned leaving Samantha with an unsettling feeling in her stomach. She didn't know why her body was reacting this way. Maybe it was the chili dog she ate an hour ago finally hitting her. She should have known something was wrong with free chili dogs. "What's with this Llorona thing anyways? Llorona means crying woman, so I'm guessing it's something to do with some crying lady. What happened with her?" She asked, trying to keep herself focused on the road, but something in her mind kept nagging her to inquire further on the subject.

Jessie shrugged, seeming to enjoy that he had an upper hand on Samantha's knowledge of folklore. "You should look it up or ask your dad. I'm sure he knows a ton of stories on La Llorona." He smirked as he grabbed his phone back from the cup holder, keeping his laughter down when he saw pure annoyance flash over her face.

"Oh come on Jess!" Samantha wined and pouted. Anytime he had more information on something that intrigued her, he liked to tease her. She parked her car in her drive way before unbuckling her seat belt and turning her body to face him. "Just tell me something at least. Come on..." She pleaded, pouting her lips and giving him the best puppy eyes she could muster. Jessie always seemed to cave in when she flashed her bright earth green eyes at him.

Jessie sighed as he brushed his hand through his hair, taking off his seat belt as well and turning to her. "Fine, just one. This is just one version I heard from my primo Jesus." He leaned his head on the headrest and took a moment to remember the story as best as he could. "La Llorona was a woman who married a guy in the village she lived in. They had two kids, I think. Maybe it was three." He muttered as he paused for a second, trying to recall the detail, but shook his head and continued on.

"Anyways, they had kids and the husband started paying attention to her less and less, giving all of his attention to the children. That didn't settle well for her. She got upset about it, telling him that he needed to pay attention to her as well, but he didn't seem to care for his wife's fits. So then she got the bright idea to drown her own kids. If the children weren't there, she would have his all to herself again." Jessie joked. Samantha didn't seem to like it. She didn't seem to like any of the story.. The whole time he was retelling the story, her stomach churned, making her feel nauseous and dizzy. She felt like she'd just gotten out of spinning in the teacup ride that she'd often ride on when the carnival came to town.