Chapter 1- CELIS

CELIS

     There are many things I do not understand in this world. Many things that might make sense to others, but never to me. For instance, why isn't cereal called soup? Is a hotdog a sandwich? Will I beat the odds of CF and live past 47? Will I ever be able to get a job and retire and be a normal person?

The sound of my fell terrier wailing like a tornado siren awoke me from my nap on this lazy, Sunday morning. Does he not have better things to do with his time? Honestly, the audacity.

"Shit, sorry," my caretaker, Anthony, yelled from the front entryway. "I didn't see Russ sleeping by the door this time."

I unhooked my vest and rose to my feet, attempting to peer around the corner. With the sound of his nearing footsteps, a brown mop of hair whips around the corner with a worried expression. He looks at me, worry stretching across his face.

"Do you think his paw will be alright from how many times I've done that?" Anthony asked me, turning to face Russ.

I looked over at my four-legged friend, knowing there's no way Anthony can cause any more harm. "Eh," I replied. "He's not limping yet so I guess he's good."

"I hope so." Anthony said with a sigh of relief and walked over to my recliner, dropping his backpack on the ground. I looked back and forth from him and the bag.

"Did you get the goods?" I asked expectantly.

He nods. "You know it."

I dove for the bag and hurriedly unzipped it. Inside the bag was a pile of the most delicious item in the entire world: giant marshmallows.

"Celly, honey," my mother called from the stairwell. "Have you finished your vest treatment?" The sound of her feet descending echoed on the wooden stairs and in a matter of seconds, she was peering into the living room where Anthony and I stood. Quickly, I zipped up the backpack and dropped it, fully aware she just saw what I was holding.

My eyes did a quick once over of the doorway, expecting her to barge in any second.

"Um, uh, yeah." I stuttered.

She gave me a stern look. "No, you didn't. Don't lie to me."

She looked over at Anthony, more humor than malice laced in her voice. "And for God's sake, stop giving him so many marshmallows. You know they make his digestion harder on him." Russ waddled his way into the room and propped himself on his bed in the corner.

"Sorry, Ms. Fabin," he said. "I figured he would want a little bit of sugar before his exam this week."

"Sure..." My mother said as she walked off. "I'm leaving for work. I have a last-minute client."

Anthony and I looked at each other with the same puzzled expression.

"Someone scheduled an appointment...'' I said.

"- with a therapist-" Anthony drawled on, one eyebrow raised.

"-on a Sunday afternoon?!" I looked at my mom quizzically.

Her blush was evident from being a room away. She was quick in agreement and after her one-word response, she headed out the door.

I looked back at Anthony and he offered me a sly smirk. We both knew about the neighbor next door, it seems.

Ever since she adopted me six years ago, I could always tell she needed someone by her side. Raising me proves to be a challenge day in and day out. She has a heart of gems but even some gems get scratched up. I'm a lot of work. I know I am. That's why she hired Anthony.

Anthony stood by the doorframe now. He turned his head from me to the door and back to me again. "When you finish your vest treatment," Anthony said. "Want to have a movie night?"

My heart pounded slightly faster with excitement at the thought. I simply nodded in agreement as an attempt to hide my excitement.

Anthony smiled. "Great! I was thinking since your mom isn't home-" I perked up. A little rebellion never hurts.

"-that I could invite Kelsey over, too."

And just like that, my excitement disintegrated. Poof. Gone.

Don't get me wrong, I like his girlfriend. I do. I just don't like the way she treats him sometimes. She's just... hormonal. And giggly.

"Yeah, sure" I politely agreed. "I'll just finish my treatments for the morning."

Unfortunately, I didn't have much of the session left.

I walked back to the brown recliner perched in the living room and hastily plugged myself back in. I reached for my phone on the side table, setting an alarm. I easily allowed the vibrations to ease me into a slumber.

***

"CELLY!"

The sudden shrill voice belonging to none other than Kelsey awoke me from my nap before my alarm has even gone off yet. Classic.

I called back to her. "I'm in here!"

Kelsey just about galloped across the house and popped around the corner before I had time to blink.

"Oh, there you are!" She screeched. "How's my favorite vegetable?" Much to my dismay, her smile was nothing but genuine. I would be insulted if she wasn't a vegan.

I forced the corners of my mouth to pull up into the best smile I could muster.

"I'm as peachy as can be."

"Good," Kelsey said. "Because I went by the DVD store earlier and picked up Transformers!"

"Thanks, Kelsey," My voice vibrated slightly as I spoke now. "You didn't have to." And I meant it.

"It's nothing!" She slapped my knee and turned on her heel. "Now hurry that thing up so we can watch it! I also brought popcorn for later. Butter-free, obviously!"

If only I could expedite the process. If. Only.

She's always been a fan of the classics. For as long as I've known her, she enjoys re-watching films and listening to the same songs on repeat. The day Kelsey grows bored of something is the day I can hug another CF patient; it's never going to happen.

I simply assured her. "I will, I will."

"And don't forget your swallows!" A deep voice shouted from the other room. Anthony always enjoyed calling my pills "swallows." He said that it makes it sound as if it's not such a drowning thing I do almost four times daily. As if I don't depend on medication to breathe semi-normally.

That's something I like about having Anthony around. He never frowns or speaks about anything negatively. He always tries to uplift me in whichever way he can. Some days, I no longer want to kill myself, so I guess that's progress.

Russ came prancing into the room shortly after Kelsey walked out. I patted the tops of my legs, inviting him over in which he quickly obliged. Some days, I like to believe Mom didn't only adopt him as an emotional support animal but rather as just a pet. You know, something normal families do.

I silently hoped Mom didn't choose this instant to decide to return home. She would throw a fit if she saw me right now. I wasn't allowed to be this near to Russ on most days because if I inhale even the smallest amount of his dander or fur, I could be a dead man. I like to think that wouldn't be such a bad way to go.