Chapter 39

Avienne still leaned against Yoma, but now Yoma needed her strength as well, the ether having greatly sapped her energy.  She couldn’t quite focus her eyes and she found that concentrating on the ground at her feet made her dizzy, so she looked up instead, towards the horizon. Beyond the hills would be the capital where, according to Zortan, the shields should still exist. Thoughts of rest and safety spurred Yoma on and they slowly made their way, guarded by Zortan’s deep shadow.

Yoma caught Avienne glancing at her sideways.

“What is it?” Yoma asked. She wished they could stop for just a few minutes so that she could grab a nap.  Just a few minutes would restore her, she was certain.

“How did you do that?” Avienne asked. “I mean, killing all of those things in one blow? If I could have done that…” She dropped the idea, pulling a piece of tar out of her hair in disgust.

“I don’t really know. I just sort of wish it true, if that makes sense.”

Zortan walked before them and carefully examined every crevice, sword in hand. Yoma was certain he was listening closely.

Avienne was quiet for a few moments, long enough that Yoma thought the smuggler had dropped the conversation. She was surprised when Avienne spoke again.

“Well, I’m glad you wished that. I mean, thanks,” she mumbled, then turned and flashed her a brilliant smile. “I still have things to do, you know! Not a good way to go, all dirty and tarry.” She winced as she put too much weight on her wounded ankle.

Avienne took a deep breath and focused on Zortan instead, reassuming her indifferent manner.

“How come your sword can kill those things?” Avienne asked.

“It’s the sword of the Captain of the Royal Guards. It’s meant to protect royalty against any attacker.” He shot Yoma a look, and added, “And it can track missing royalty.”

“No wonder I can’t shake him,” Yoma mumbled.

“Can’t someone else use it to track down the twins?” Avienne asked.

“The sword can only be used by those most loyal to the heirs. It can’t be used against them.”

“Oh.” Avienne sounded disappointed.

“My sister is coming from the other side. Can you sense that, Captain of the Royal Guards?”

Zortan hesitated. “Yes, but only faintly. The power is weaker, split in two.”

“I need you to promise me something, Zortan,” Yoma said, her footing more sure as her next words gave her strength. “Promise me that you’ll protect Layela before me. If you have to choose, protect her, not me.”

Zortan kept his gaze focused ahead as he answered. “I can’t promise that. If one of you is to die, my blood will also be spilled.”

“Oooooooooh,” Avienne murmured, her interest perked.

Yoma was about to reply angrily when they stepped out of the hills, and words were lost to her. Before them lay what could only be the capital. Domes and towers rose from the ground, woven into cliffs and mountains, glittering white in defiance of the red light. In the centre was a thin tower, tall and proud, bearing the emblem of Mirial on a cloth that flapped in the wind despite the heavy air.

The sight of it tugged at Yoma’s heart.

“This is where you and your sister were born,” Zortan said, stopping to look, as well.

“Looks pretty dead to me,” Avienne said. She kicked a rock in disgust. Yoma looked at Avienne in surprise. It was the most spectacular city she had ever seen! But when she turned back, she sucked in her breath as she saw how the city had changed from the vision that had shrouded it a moment before. The towers had long ago crumbled, the domes collapsed, and the high tower bore but a tattered, limp rag. The buildings were scorched and black, as though a great fire had raged and consumed all in its path.