Chapter 18

Josmere’s eyes shone in the half-light, the Berganda slowly uncovering her hands as she looked intently at Layela. The flower girl saw the flutter of unspoken words in those eyes, a jumbled mixture of apology and question. But Josmere voiced nothing, and Layela did not inquire.

Determination glowed in Josmere’s deep eyes and in her every graceful movement, the same determination that always empowered the Berganda before a dangerous caper. Layela was the one to break the silence.

“What changed your mind?” her whisper fell into the whirlpools of Josmere’s eyes, their depth amplified by the lack of the characteristic shrug.

“I guess being home confirmed one thing,” her own voice was also a whisper, soothing Layela’s nervous senses. “You and Yoma are the only family I have left. And I don’t intend to lose either one of you.”

“I’m sorry I doubted you,” Layela said as she lifted her hands, breathing deeply to open up her mind.

“I’m sorry I doubted you, too,” Josmere whispered, words long awaited. As the green arms extended to reach her own, Layela stared at her fragile-looking limbs and knew with certainty: I saw your death too, Josmere. The death of all Berganda.

She took a deep breath. Josmere paused and waited, their fingers barely an inch apart. Layela took another deep breath, closing her eyes and pushing those visions of death far away, as she had done for a long time. They were the only visions she never wished to see again, and the only ones that, amplified by a Kilita’s powers, still revisited her in little taunting pieces. It was enough to keep her from ever forgetting the feeling of her own mortality, stripped away from her a million times in what felt like a million years. Burning, flesh ripping, limbs breaking, drowning, falling...she had died every way, a million different lives becoming her own and then being torn away.

Instead, she focused on the darkness that had haunted her dreams for over a week; the darkness that had sent Yoma running. She held it in her mind, calling forth the only thing she knew of it, the only power she knew the vision possessed. Cold sweat trickled down her back as she invoked the terror again.

She opened her eyes. Even Josmere’s impossibly green gaze wasn’t enough to push back the darkness that waited impatiently at the edge of her mind.

Waited to consume her.

Layela reached out and grabbed Josmere’s hands. The green eyes widened and reflected her horror as the darkness washed over them both.

***

Avienne watched the small government team make its way into the tall bay of the Destiny. She smiled and approached them, her hair loose around her shoulders. In her hand, she firmly grasped a bottle from Lang’s supply, which she had recently found in the bay.

Her other hand held two narrow glasses. She remembered drinking from them, back when the crew of the Destiny had still believed in gatherings.

At the head of the party was a short man with white hair, followed by a tall, lanky youth with freckles. How young did they commission in their armies? The third man was further behind, so she concentrated on her immediate targets.

“Welcome!” Avienne smiled widely. “Can I offer you some fine Solarian wine? I purchased it two years ago and I’ve been waiting for the right occasion to open it. We so infrequently get visitors here!”

The inspector hesitated for a moment, taken aback by the reception. She was certain most smuggling ships did not look as clean and empty, and didn’t have a cute, peppy receptionist.

“We believe you have illegal passengers aboard, a human woman by the name of Layela Delamores and a Berganda known as Josmere.” Avienne let her arms and smile drop just a little bit. “Ah, no thank you, but kind of you to offer,” the inspector added, seeing her confused disappointment.