41 | in which she shoots

She never made sense,
But neither did love.

.\.|./.

Crystal Monroe

| in which she shoots |

"Hey, dude, can I get a ride --"

The guy who speaks through the window stops suddenly when he catches sight of Ryan. As for Ryan, his eyes widen and face pales slightly. I expect him to drive as fast as he can, but he reaches for the door-handle.

"Ryan?" I interrupt, wanting to make sure he's okay.

He glances my way. "It's okay," he says. "He's a friend. Come on."

I follow without hesitation, wondering how many more people from Ryan's past will pop up in LA. Getting out of the car, Ryan steps onto the sidewalk and faces the newcomer.

"Can't believe you're back in LA, man," the guy is saying when I stop next to Ryan.

The guy has brown hair and is dressed in a pair of shorts and a flowery shirt that reminds me of the Amazon jungle. His long hair is braided from the top of his head down to his shoulders, and the chains hanging around his neck simply seal the deal.

Lucky Ryan didn't like LA or I might be braiding his hair right now.

"Crystal, this is Ed," Ryan tells me, indicating the weirdo. "Ed, Crystal."

"Nice to meet you," the guy says, removing his shades so I can see his brown eyes at last. "You don't seem like you're from around here."

"What gave it away?" I ask, knowing exactly what he means. With my baggy clothes and pale skin, I look like a hobo with no fashion sense, and even the worst of LA would be able to pick me out.

Ed waves a hand, and I have to say he's a nice guy not to point out what I know is wrong with me standing next to someone like Ryan. The man is a God, and I ... yes, I'm a disgrace.

"It's nice to see you again, though," Ed says to Ryan. "We knew you'd be here when you heard about your mom."

Ryan's brow scrunched up. "What about mom?"

"Don't you know? She had a heart attack last month," the guy tells Ryan.

I expect Ryan to say something, but he doesn't react. Not visibly at least. I know him too well to know that the slight paleness of his skin and the stiffness in his muscles, not to mention his hands curling into fists is indicative of him being affected. He's good at hiding it from others, though, so I have no doubt Ed doesn't notice.

"You staying in LA now?" Ed asks.

"No, we're just passing through," Ryan answers, sounding too calm for my liking.

I don't like this Ryan, the one who closes in on himself and tries to deal with things on his own. I want him to let me in. I want us to do it together.

"Well, I'm glad I got to see you," says the guy in the flowery shirt. "Maybe my car breaking down was a blessing in disguise."

Ryan smiles slightly. "You were asking for a ride?" he asks.

"Yeah, I have somewhere to be." Ed nods. "You mind dropping me before you head your way?"

Ryan glances my way as if asking my opinion and I shrug.

"She can shop around here and see the sites," Ed suggests, pointing a thumb at me.

Ryan, however, isn't pleased with the suggestion. He winds his hand through mine, leading me back to the car.