Daft (But Not Like Jack)

"I'm sorry." Jack smiled genially, sure he had heard incorrectly. "I must have a great glob of wax stuck in me ears. Did you just say you want to sail to the Fountain of Youth?"

Norrington frowned at him. Jack didn't mind—it seemed to be the go-to expression for the former-commodore-former-admiral when he was looking at Jack.

"You heard correctly, Sparrow," he responded, a muscle twitching in his cheek. "That is what I said."

"Thought so," Jack said with a nod. "Lost yer minds, the both of you. Didn't know that was part of the curse of the Dutchman."

"Tia Dalma—Calypso—did say to return Ona to her home," William Turner chimed in unhelpfully. "Whitecap Bay is a reasonable destination for our intentions, and if Ona says it's also where the Fountain of Youth is hidden..." William looked up at Jack, pleading with those big doe eyes that Jack had always found to be unfairly endearing.

Even as a captain, yer still that earnest boy I found at a blacksmith's forge, Jack thought fondly. It's disgustin'.

"So go find the Fountain yerselves," Jack said, raising his hand to examine his fingernails. "Don't see why ye'd drag me into this nonsense."

"I would have thought you would be the first to jump at the opportunity to seize eternal life and glory," Norrington said dryly. Jack sent him a sweet smile.

"I believe the never-ending chase for honor and redemption falls under your purview, former-Admiral."

Norrington looked like he might stroll across the captain's cabin and strike him across his jaw, so Jack held up his hands in placation and added, "I've had me fill of mythical beasts and legendary treasure. Anymore of that balderdash and I'm more than like not to survive it a third time. Fourth time?" He counted on his fingers, realizing he'd lost track of his encounters with the supernaturally ridiculous.

"We need the Pearl, Jack," William stepped between them, not so daft that he couldn't see the tension between the two men. "We need it because Ona cannot stay aboard the Dutchman."

"Ah, right," Jack said, pointing his finger at William. "You've got a new job with a new master to please."

"Exactly," he responded, all seriousness. "We still have souls that need ferrying, especially after we just sunk the Endeavor. But we cannot ignore Calypso's other mandate, either. Our responsibilities must have balance." William glanced at Norrington. The boy wasn't subtle about it, and the former admiral looked away, his jaw muscles tightening hard enough that Jack could see them flexing.

"Ye must be very fond of the girl," Jack said with even less subtlety than William. "I suppose it's good ye've moved on from pining over dear Lizzie. Healthy. I'm proud of you, Jimmie."

Norrington scoffed in disgust and turned away, folding his arms over his chest as he stared out of the rear windows, probably so he wouldn't be tempted to hit Jack. Also a common theme between them, and Jack was almost comforted by the fact some things, at least, never changed.

"Will you agree to it or not?" William interjected. Jack appraised him while raising an eyebrow. He had to admit, the whole dashing-swashbuckler bit, complete with the jagged scar across his heart, was a good look. A great look.

Bugger, he thought in annoyance. He couldn't turn down the kid. Never had been able to, really.

"You do realize the complicated implications of taking a shipful of ne're-do-wells and scoundrels to a fountain of immortality, yeah?" Jack shot back, tone dripping with skepticism.