Chapter 4 - Rebecca

So so so so sooo sorry for taking so long to post this!!! xD I hope you guys enjoy it though, took a lot of hard work! I'm actually really proud of this chapter, it's my favourite one so far :3 xx

~Chapter 4~

“Shit! Merica get up!! There’s a fire!!” Kyle yelled from the door. Merica slowly opened her eyes and rolled out of the bed. She could smell smoke coming from downstairs and could hear the soft crackling of flames.

“What?! How did that happen?!” Merica asked in a panic as she jumped out of her bed and ran to the rooms’ door.

“I have no idea, must’ve been a faulty gas line or…Something flammable, anywho, the house is ON FIRE!!! We’ve got to go!!” Kyle said, pulling Merica down the stairs. They reached the bottom of the stairs quickly and were enveloped in flames. Bright orange fire crackled from the kitchen, blocking the path to the front door.

“Merica, did you see a back entrance?” Kyle asked in-between coughs.

“I…I think there’s one near the laundry, follow me!” Merica said, breathing in lungful’s of smoke.

Kyle and Merica ran away from the flames, towards the back of the house. They managed to pull the screen door open and get out into the garden. As they ran out into the street the house exploded in a shower of flames and smoke, scattering parts of the roof and the walls all over the road.

“We’ve got to get out of here; all the noise will attract heaps of zombies and I really can’t deal with that right now” mumbled Kyle, pulling Merica away from the house. They ran towards a large blue car parked on the other side of the street and pulled open the doors.

“Looks like its empty” Said Kyle, looking into the front seat, “And they left their keys here, how kind of them” He continued with a wink, picking up a set of silver keys on a key-ring.

Merica and Kyle climbed into the car and drove off away from the house slowly, careful not to make too much noise and attract more zombies.

“D’you know your way around this place? I’ve literally never been here before” Kyle said, turning left into a side street, “D’you think you can get us to the country or something, the apocalypse will probably be less…bad, there” he said, whispering the last part, unsure of what to say. Merica looked worried.

“I honestly have no idea about the layout of the city, I spent all my time in the orphanage, and I’ve never really been out in the city…” She started, “I’m pretty sure the country is that way though” She said pointing north.

Kyle pulled out of the alley and turned onto the first northward facing road he saw. They drove in silence out of the main part of the city. When they reached the dusty road that led out into the country Merica began talking again, as the risk of being heard by zombies was less likely to happen.

“So….” She said idly, “um…the house, why’d you think it set on fire?” She continued looking up slowly at Kyle’s determined face.

“I don’t know” He said angrily “Maybe it was just a gas leak or something, we probably dodged up the kitchen when we kille….killed those zombies” he continued weakly.

“Um, yer that must’ve been it…. Did you manage to grab any food before we left? ‘cause I didn’t…” Merica asked worriedly.

“Fuck, no, now we’re going to bloody starve on top of the stupid apocalypse” Kyle said, slowly raising his voice.

Merica sensed that he was angry and sunk back into her seat, deciding it was probably safer not to talk. She instead turned her head to the window, gazing at the passing paddocks and farms, seeing the occasional zombie hobbling around the fields.