Chapter 3 - Houses

~Chapter 3~

Merica trawled through the rest of the house and found nothing, it was clear. As she went back into the kitchen Kyle was still sitting in the corner, his eyes red from crying. She glanced down at him then turned towards the cupboards and began seeing what supplies they had. There were plenty of tinned beans, fruit and spaghetti; they would be alright for a while. The electricity, unfortunately, was out meaning they had to survive by candlelight alone; if they could find any candles that is.

“I’ve shut all the doors, just in-case something’s lurking in the rooms.” Merica said, opening a can of peaches. She nibbled on them slowly and offered them to Kyle. He declined.

“I’m not hungry” he mumbled, standing up and walking over to the window. After standing there for a few minutes, he sighed and turned around.

“I’m…I’m sorry…It’s just stuff that happened a while ago, it’s pissing me off” He said, sending an apologetic look in her direction. Merica smiled softly and walked over to the window where Kyle was standing. She leaned over and hugged him; he smiled slightly and hugged her back.

“Thanks…” He said quietly. “Can I take you up on that offer of peaches now?” he asked with a slight smile, reaching into the drawer to get a spoon.

“Yer, sure”

They ate in silence, completely finishing the can, then both looked out the window.

“I wonder what the hell is happening” Said Kyle with a sigh

“I don’t know…It’s practically the apocalypse, kind of silly to think about if you ask me”

“It is…I’m so confused, what the hell could cause this? Was it a person? Actually, who the fuck would be that stupid to create something that would do this to people?!”

Merica flinched at Kyle’s words, she’d never liked hearing swear words, ever since an…incident, at the orphanage when she was younger. Kyle saw her reaction and quickly apologised, she smiled and whispered ‘thanks’.

“Probably some creepy maniac person, someone bent on world domination, that sort of thing”

“True, did you see anything on the news before it went out?” Kyle asked, sitting back down on the floor.

“Only muffled words about German experiments, probably some kind of mind control gone wrong, I only caught a bit of it, the news died down along with almost everything else a few days after it started. I honestly don’t know where we’re going to find any information about this stupid thing…”

“Do you know if the electricity mains are still on?” Kyle asked looking up at the light on the ceiling, “We could: a, actually see what’s happening in here. And b, maybe the computers will work, if the internet is still working then we can try finding some information, perhaps the governments posted a warning on Google or something”

“Well, there’s only one way to find out.” Merica said, flicking on the light-switch. With a small *ding* the room was bathed in a soft yellow light.

“Guess that answers that question” Kyle said, standing up and walking towards the hallway. “You should probably turn the light off though, although it’s nice I can hear zombies, and they will probably be attracted to it.”

Merica switched the light off and with another *ding* the room was again dark.

“Also, before we go any further into the house we should probably shut the curtains too, just in-case any of the fuc- … Zombies, decide to have a little look-see into the house” Kyle had to be careful about not saying any swear-words, this girl had saved his life and he would do anything to keep her from being mad at him.