Chapter 1

Dear readers,

Thank you for taking the time to read my story! Please feel free to comment your opinion or any questions you might have, and don't be afraid to vote if you like something. This story is currently going under some revisions, but no major plot points are currently being changed. If something significant does happen to be swapped out or omitted, I will be sure to include a note in the chapter mentioning a revised aspect, referencing where to find the new information. Thanks for all your patience, and I hope you enjoy my story!

Sincerely, enduringdisillusion

~

It was the kind of day that made me feel as if I was in a painting. The crystal clear sky danced with a few passing clouds and carried a crisp, refreshing breeze that definitely put a spring in my step. All around me, people bustled about in the little village landscape, going about whatever daily responsibilities they had. On that rather sunny day, my responsibility was to take some fresh fruit to the students attending our small village school.

Small chores like this came along with my job. I was a shrine maiden, or a Miko, at the Kanshin-ji Temple in the little Japanese village of Kawachinokuni. I was raised there, but my hometown was some far off place that had been attacked long ago. My grandfather took me in, and I grew up in our local temple and was trained only to serve. My duties ranged from more exciting spiritual cleansings to decidedly mundane tasks like the one I was given that day. However, it never really bothered me. Although I lived a comparatively sheltered life, I knew enough about the outside world to be aware of the war raging. We were privileged here; we had our own patch of paradise nestled into the woods, safe from whatever threats came upon our fellow countrymen.

However, on that ordinary day, the war was the farthest thing from my mind. I had descended the cool stone steps from the temple, and was casually making my way down the dusty main road in our village to the school near the entrance to Kawachinokuni. My white linen robes swished around my sandal-clad feet as I balanced the woven basket on my hip, careful no to spill any of the clean fruit as I quickened my pace.

Secretly, I hoped that I could be done with this trip as quickly as possible. Although it was always nice to visit the children in their classes, grandfather had promised me a special surprise when I returned, and I was curious as to what he had in mind. Unfortunately for my plans, an elderly villager spotted me as I passed his merchant stall and waved me over. Rushed as I was, I refused to stoop so low as to brush off one of the kind people that had lived here far longer than I.

"Good morning, Misaki! What are you up to on this fine day?" The old man eyed my basket with a gleam in his eye, and I chuckled.

"I'm taking these to the students for their break, would you like one?" I smiled at the old man's childlike glee as he gratefully accepted a shiny nashi from my outstretched hand.

He bit into it almost as soon as it left my hand, making a soft sound of contentment before he continued speaking to me.

"They get food delivered directly from the chief priest's granddaughter? That's quite an honor," he took another bite and added with a laugh, "and it doesn't quite seem fair!"

While we were talking, a middle-aged woman had stepped up to the stall and overheard our conversation. She smiled as she mulled over the various vibrant beads and ornaments laid out on the wooden surface and spoke without looking up, "You sure are a hard worker, Misaki. After your parents died, your grandfather raised you in the temple, right?"

I unwittingly winced at the reminder. Just because I couldn't remember my family and early life didn't mean it still stung. Fortunately, neither the woman nor the man noticed my slip up.