V

My grandfather suffered from a severe case of epilepsy. Partial seizures happened as often as 4-5 times a day, generalized seizures at least once a week. Anticonvulsant medication was only of little help, and surgery seemed to be his last hope of ever becoming normal again.

* Fred Bayer, 365 Days of Ben

“It appears to be a severe case of amnesia, Mrs. Reid,” Dr Thomas says, “Several tests will have to be done for us to make sure what the real problem is.”

“He’s read all the magazines at home for more than ten times now. And he’s probably gonna read them again tomorrow without ever finding them familiar! Can you please tell me something else that will make us understand what the hell happened to my son?”

“We’re doing the best we can, Mrs. Reid.”

“You’re not doing enough!”

Since then, hospitals and research centers became Ben’s second home. Suddenly, he was the new sensation — the new star of the medical world. Brain doctors everywhere came by to see him, to perform tests on him; they’re all excited to meet the one-day man named Benjamin Reid.

Maura’s belly continued to swell up, and every day, she had to remind him that they’re married now and are expecting a child. The newly wed Reid bought a new home somewhere far, and finally, all the commotion Ben’s case caused died out.

Still, his name was talked about in classrooms today. People remember the man who contributed so much to the study of memory, people remember one-day Ben.