Chapter 7 -- A Mystery in The Shifter

"Do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Let the day's own trouble be sufficient for the day."

-- Jesus Christ

7

Connor did not shift back with the others for the entire walk back to the clinic. He walked close alongside me, his fur rubbing against my bare legs. Occasionally, he would hear a noise and whip his head in the direction it came from. He would let loose a gutteral and menacing growl in those moments, nudging my legs forward gently with his soft head. I could feel him shake with low rumbles when he did this, but it made me feel safe instead of afraid.

No one had thought to bring clothes and the knowledge that I was walking naked in a group of other naked people was awkward. I tried my best to use my hands and arms to cover my top half. The feel of Connor’s fur against my skin with every stride we took kept my mind off of it, though. It felt nice, like walking next to a soft rug- a powerful rug with bands of muscle that contracted with every movement.

I didn’t speak during the short walk, nor did the others encircling me. My body and mind were still in survival mode, peeled for any sound or movement. I opted to save my questions and explanations until we were safely inside of a building, and maybe when we had some clothing.

Once we stepped into the bright light of the clinic, Ronald handed a hospital gown. I pulled it on quickly, absent mindedly going through the motions. A tiny old boom box was on the wooden side table in the dreary white bathroom. The volume was set on low, an old Texas country song I hadn’t heard before coming from it dimly.

The physical went by quickly and Ronald gave me a clean bill of health in that heavy accent of his. That was when I turned to Sarah, who had been waiting along with Maksim, Connor, and Debbie in the small entry room. Dan had left to do something I hadn’t been paying attention to. I had stared at the cold tiles of the clinic while they said their goodbyes, watching how the light bounced off of them. I was so tired.

The others had their own clothes on now, something I was becoming increasingly envious of. Connor was of course in his usual plain black t-shirt, his matching hair disheveled and his facial hair more unkempt than usual.  

“How are you not pregnant?” was the first thing out of my mouth. After the slip I regretted not wording it more eloquently.

Sarah blinked, obviously not expecting my question. She spoke gently, as if I was glass and she was afraid her words would break me. “How do most people become not pregnant? I had my baby. Maybe you should sit, Alex.”

 “And you’re already up and running around? It’s barely been a day.” I frowned, concern creasing my face. “Sarah, that’s not healthy. You need to be checked out more than I do.”

She snorted. “Shifter women are physically tough, quite so actually. You should know that by now. We can have a baby and mow the lawn an hour later.” Sarah was so matter-of-fact in her explanation that everyone seemed to accept it with ease, except for Debbie. Debbie had had children. So why did she look so doubtful of Sarah's words?

“She came very quickly anyway, almost like she knew you needed us.” Sarah's voice had grown sad. I felt guilty for ruining what should have been an amazing moment for her. It only added to the terrible gutted feeling in my stomach. “Barrett and my mother are watching her now. I wanted to help find you.” She took a deep breath. “We were all so worried. We wanted to come sooner but my little Claire decided she was more important. Connor here,” she gestured to him and my eyes briefly shifted his direction. He was oblivious to the conversation, instead studying my face and body in the manner the others had been 10 minutes earlier. He was still checking me for overlooked injuries. “he wanted to leave right away, but we wouldn’t let him go alone. Not after the numbers the vampires managed to send out last night. I still don’t understand how that happened…or why…” Sarah trailed off, lost in thought and confusion.