Chapter 1 -- A Bear in The Kitchen

If you like it or have anything to add or fix about the story, please vote or comment to help the story get some recognition and to help meeee improve the book for youuuu! Feedback means more to me than you could understand. Negative feedback too. I want to improve and sometimes that means hearing what you don't want to! So if you have time that would be great (:

P.S. I thought this video was kind of funny in a super uncomfortable way. -->

Thanks, Enjoy this chapter!

 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe."

-- Saint Augustine

1

As he spoke I thought back to an unexpected memory. Senior year of high school I was the captain of my varsity soccer team. It was a title I had worked hard for. During a game I kicked the ball as I normally would. Unfortunately for Erica Hart, her acne riddled head had gotten in the way. The impact of the hard rubber utterly shattered the poor girl’s left cheek bone and left me with a brutal reputation. I didn’t feel too horrible about it, she wasn’t exactly an angel. That didn’t stop me from freaking out over how I managed to do that to the girl’s face. I hadn’t kicked the ball very hard.

At least, I hadn’t thought so.

So yes, I always knew that I was freakishly more athletic than other people my age, boys included, but to believe what this man was saying? This man, who has come to my house at such a late hour of the night to tell me such impossible things, was obviously insane. Maksim Bernard was a crazy person.

I shoved a maddening strand of long brown hair out of my face for the hundredth time that night. “Listen, it just doesn’t make any sense. I feel like, as a reasonable adult, you should already know that. Or are you not reasonable? Or is it that you’re not an adult?” I didn’t bother covering the blatant sarcasm in my voice this time. Maksim and I had done away with pleasantries about 20 minutes prior.

From the other side of the kitchen table he angrily threw his hands in the air, shaking his head at nothing in particular. “Doesn’t it make sense, though?” He continued to give me a hard stare when I offered no reply. “You have to take a leap and believe me. It is essential that you do as I say.  If you don’t the consequences could be very very bad.” He was stuck halfway between begging and frustration.  

The thought that popped into my head moments earlier was beginning to solidify now. It was, after all, the only explanation. He must have gotten with my sister to pull some prank. After an hour of arguing it was getting old.

 I had only met Maksim one other time, when he dropped by with Anya’s boyfriend, Barrett, last week for a movie date. Maksim was Barrett’s older brother. He had driven them that day since both kids were only 15. He had been nice, if not a little weird.

“I’m not gullible, Maksim. Please just leave. I’m not a ‘shifter’ and I don’t belong on your ‘shifter ranch’ with you and your ‘shifter family’.” I made sure to use air quotes so he knew how ridiculous I thought it all was. “Nor do I belong with your shifter cars or shifter houses or shifter refrigerators.” That last one caused him to scoff loudly, as if I was the one being illogical.