Jealousy is a fickle thing

Isabella couldn’t stop fidgeting at dinner. It had been a week from their first encounter at the club and everyday he showed up for her shows. Everyday he would stare at her as if he was trying figure her out.  Lizzie suggested that she wear contacts so he wouldn’t be able to recognize her or even suspect. Isabella knew if she kept avoiding him, he was the one who was going to approach her. That would be worse because she wasn’t going to be prepared. She decided that tonight she was going to approach him and that had her nervous.

“Isabella dear,” said her mother, “Why haven’t you eaten?”

Isabella looked down at her plate. She saw that in fact her all her food was still there. She hadn’t even noticed the food had been served yet.

“Sorry Mother,” she responded, “I guess I have been distracted.”

“It must be those wedding jitters, “said her mother.

“Must be.”

“You must be really in love with Michael for this to start affecting you so soon.”

“Mother I ---- “

“Of course she loves me, just like I adore her.”

Everyone in the dining room turned around to see Michael enter the dining room. Isabella fumed, how dare he say she was in love with him? She was not! And the bit where he adored her? Bullshit. There was no way. Especially, since he’s been going down to the club to watch Serena every single day. No man who adored a woman would go down to see another woman at a club. What was she saying? She was Serena.  Jealousy is a fickle thing. Isabella stop short in her musing and looked at Michael as he sat down in the seat next to her. No she was not jealous, that was simply not possible. He’s only arrived a week ago. There was no way that she could develop the type of emotion because of him. She was annoyed, that’s it. Jealousy and annoyance were two similar but different things. Easily confused. She was annoyed, no more than that.

Michael smirked as he sat down in the long rectangle table. It was fit for a kingdom and decorated as such. Candles were in the center of the table along with a few center pieces. Every seat had a plate and utensils set for who ever sat there. Michael looked over at Isabella and found her looking right back at him. She seemed to be studying him. Then all of a sudden her caramel eyes seem to be angry. What had her curious mind decided? There was no doubt that he liked to ruffle her feathers, but would kill her to smile at him once? He wasn’t that bad was he? He turned away from her and looked at her mother.

“Of course that’s why we are getting married,” he told his future mother in law.

“Well of course. I would expect no less, “she responded.

Suddenly Isabella remembered the plan. She had to play the part of the loving fiancée.

“Of course mother, we both know I wouldn’t marry if it wasn’t for love,” she said sweetly and covered Michael’s hand with hers. Michael merely raised an eyebrow. What was she playing at?

“Oh, honey look at those two so in love. Brings back so many memories, doesn’t it? “sighed her mother.

Isabella’s dad looked at the supposed in love couple. He knew this was all false. No matter. This way he would still get his way and these two children will eventually, if they had not already started to, fall in love. He saw how Michael stared at his daughter as if trying to figure her out. Oh something has already started alright. Of course, he was going to set whatever started in motion.

“Isabella,” he started, “ Do you remember Roger?”

Isabella instantly lighted up, “How to forget Daddy? How is he by the way?”