Ch 9 - Fear of Flying

• Dedicated to KJS

Now we have reached Chapter Nine of Stargirl of the Edge, which begins just after the first encounter with the Chinese princess on Alderley Edge.

At the end of the chapter her father tells her about an incident on a plane in China. This actually happened to the author in 1988! I was with a friend, who had come over from the US to join me for a short holiday.

That friend is Mr KJS, whom I have known since uni. He is one of the most travelled people I know, regularly jetting all over the world on work assignments. He calls me on Facetime and shows me the amazing places he visits. KJS has definitely influenced the character of Olivia's dad, in that he is a frequent air traveller.

Stargirl of the Edge is semi-autobiographical. Many of the events and characters are based on real events, which I have adapted into a new fictional reality.

Please vote by clicking the star and it would be very exciting if you could comment, though sadly not many readers do.

The dog ran ahead along the footpath and licked Liz’s hand. Olivia walked up to them, trying to avoid her mother’s gaze.

“Where were you, Livvy? I was getting worried about you!” 

“I’m sorry Mum, about... earlier,” said Olivia.

“Oh, it doesn't matter!” said Liz.

“How did you get up here?” asked Olivia.

“Oh, I just walked up the lane and took the footpath from the foot of the Edge. It didn’t take long. Are you all right, darling?

“Yes,” said Olivia, looking to one side.  Jessie walked around and between them impatiently.

“You seem a lot calmer,” said Liz, with a long probing stare. “You didn't meet anyone, did you?”

“No,” said Olivia, looking away. On her face was the expression she put on when she was embarrassed about something and was trying to hide her smile. The dimples on her cheeks were becoming visible. She was a little unsteady on her feet.

Liz looked into her daughter’s eyes with a long penetrating gaze. Finally she held out her hand and place it on Olivia's shoulder.

“Come on then honeybunch, let’s go home. I’ve cooked us a nice dinner. It’s your favourite: fried noodles and dumplings. We'll settle down together on the couch and I'll help you to revise for that test tomorrow.”

Olivia took the dog lead out of her pocket and attached it to Jessie’s collar. Her mum linked arms with her and they started to walk back along the straight section of footpath. Olivia felt almost carried along by her mother. Jessie walked in front of them, pulling on her lead and wagging her tail. They reached the gate and walked to the jeep. Ten minutes later all three of them were back in the warm glow of the house.

It was a chilly night due to a cold north westerly wind that had arrived earlier that day.  Liz cooked the dinner while Olivia sat at the kitchen table and revised for the Chemistry test.  Dennis phoned to say he wouldn’t be back till after midnight.

The rest of the evening was spent in the living room in front of a beautiful, warm glowing fire. Liz sat next to Olivia doing her best to prompt her. She tried hard to help, but she lacked the in-depth knowledge of the subject. If only Dad had been there to help.

Olivia went to bed around 11.30pm and read a book for a while before falling asleep.

The morning of Tuesday 24th January was fresh and wintery. A mist hung over the fields next to the house. There was a mood of optimism as they got into the jeep and drove the short distance to school. After dropping off Olivia, Liz continued on to another of her charity meetings.