Ch 2 - Home / Jia

• Dedicated to John Dare

Dennis got out of the jeep. The rain had stopped now. He looked around, raised his head and sniffed the air.

"Ah, that cold, damp smell of the English countryside! So different from China."

From inside the house came the sound of barking, but when Dennis started to walk towards the door, the barking changed to whining and the animal scratched on the inside of the door. He opened the door with his house keys and then a beautiful golden-haired dog jumped up at him.

"Jessie! Calm down now!" he said, smiling.

Jessie looked up at him with big eyes, licking his hands. Olivia bent down and threw her arms around her neck.

"Oh Jessie, you're such a big softie," she said.

"It's amazing how Jessie always recognises family," said Liz.

Soon all three were inside the kitchen, Jessie had calmed down and returned to her basket.

Their house was a cottage that had been modernised. The living room took up most of the ground floor and led to a large kitchen.

At the end of the room there was a wood-burning stove. Liz put some wood into the stove and lit the fire. After a few minutes, bright flickering flames began to warm up the room.

Olivia lay on the sofa and switched on the TV.

Liz went back into the kitchen to put the kettle on and prepare the meal.

On the TV, the local news showed scenes of Chinese New Year in Manchester's Chinatown.

"Look Mum, we were there in the crowd somewhere!"

Liz walked to the kitchen door and looked at the screen with narrowed eyes. She often did this as she frequently mislaid her glasses.

"Ooh yes, it was fabulous wasn't it, darling?"

The reporter interviewed people, some Chinese, some Western.

"I wish they'd interviewed me," said Olivia.

"Hmmm, and what would you have said about it?" shouted Liz, smiling.

"I would have said it was... hmmm let me think now: awesome!" said Olivia, laughing.

In the middle of the living room was a spiral staircase. Dennis came down in jeans and sweater and joined Liz in the kitchen.

And then in a low voice, Liz said: "How much longer do we have to keep the truth from Olivia?"

"Liz, we can't tell her. The stress would be too much. You know what she's like. It's her exam year. If we told her it could ruin everything."

"Yes," Liz whispered, "but imagine how she would react if she found out where you're really travelling to? You've made sure to hide your baggage tags and booking documents, haven't you?"

"Yes, of course," he replied, glancing towards Olivia.

"Look mum," shouted Olivia excitedly, "look at the dragon, I think I saw us standing next to the Chinese arch!"

"Oh yes, fabulous, darling!" shouted Liz.

"Liz, don't worry," whispered Dennis, "The project will be completed within a few months. They've increased the security since the last incident. We have armed guards with us now. Things have been quiet. Only a couple of bombs and shootings. Don't worry, everything's going to be fine."

"She misses you when you're away. She's a real daddy's girl." He looked away.

"And Dennis," said Liz quietly, "you know what date it is tomorrow?"