CHAPTER 14

CHAPTER 14

It turns out that Jeremy's sister needed a new pair of jeans—"As if she doesn't have enough," Jeremy—and so she came with us to the mall. Jeremy's mom had phoned him to fetch Claire just as we were about to leave my house.

So here we are, sitting at MacDonald's, after finding a pink pair of jeans for Claire and a teal coloured dress for me. It took me about ten minutes to find my dress, as long as it's blue and not too short I don't really mind what it looks like, but it took Claire nearly an hour to find the 'perfect shade of pink jeans'. Not that I minded too much, Claire was a really sweet kid and was just as humorous as her brother. And anyway, while Claire was trying on pair after pair of pink jeans, I got to spend time with Jeremy. Hehe.

"Are you sure you're fine with the dress?" Jeremy asks, again. He seemed surprised by how quickly I had picked it out; saying that he was so used his sister taking ages to decide on buying something.

"Yes, Jeremy! For the gazilionth time, I love it. And no, I didn't need more time to think about it before I paid for it, and no, I didn't feel like you guys were rushing me or like I was wasting your time."

Claire laughs and says, "I think I was the one wasting you guys' time. I'm sorry, it's just that I've always wanted pink jeans and it always takes me a while to find my size."

"You mean it always takes you a while to match the shade of the piece of clothing to your damn nail polish," Jeremy rolls his eyes. I kick his leg under the table for being rude to his sister but I have to bite back a laugh.

Claire folds her arms and raises an eyebrow. For a twelve-year old, she's pretty sceptical. "At least I don't take half an hour to blow dry my hair. Jules, do you know this bro of mine has a hairdryer? And he takes forever to do his hair every morning." Claire's smirk is so similar to Jeremy's.

"He has a hairdryer?" I look between Jeremy and Claire and then burst out laughing. "Oh. My. Word Jeremy! I don't even blow dry my hair! And I'm a girl."

Claire gapes at me. "You don't?" I shake my head. "What about straightening it?" I shake my head again. "But it looks lovely! I wish mine would sit like that naturally."

I laugh again and pull on a lock of my naturally straight hair. "Eh, straight hair gets pretty boring sometimes, if I'm being honest. And it takes so much effort for me to get it wavy, I have to—"

"Okay, I get that you two are girls, but be a bit considerate at least? There is a guy sitting here too you know, who doesn't want to hear about all of your hair dilemmas." Jeremy waves his arms around as he says those last two words.

I smirk at him, "Are you sure Jeremy? Seeing as you put in so much into doing your hair every morning, this conversation should be the most interesting one we've had so far, for you."

Jeremy gives me a dark look before turning to Claire. "I'll get you back for spilling my secret, little sis," he says jokingly.

"It wasn't much of a secret bro. You know, with every strand of yours set to perfection, it's kinda obvious," she winks at me. I laugh and nod my head.

"That's actually true. Not one strand of hair is out of place Jer. How do you do that? Maybe you should give Claire and I some tips."

Claire and I laugh even harder when Jeremy gets up from our table, narrowing his eyes at us before storming off to the bathroom.

Claire and I high-five each other and continue to make fun of Jeremy's strange habits while he's gone.

"Can we leave now that you're done fixing your hair, Mr Easily-Offended?" Claire says to Jeremy when he returns.