badass | jake gyllenhaal

A/N: Another I had written for my bff. Enjoy! :) Also, I made up the movie in here, so don't expect a film like this to come out, LOL.

DO NOT REPOST MY WORK.

Summary: During an interview, Jake talks about his wife and his upcoming movies. 

Warnings:  LANGUAGE! (just once)

Word Count: 1.2 K 

Music: none

Jake sipped the complementary bottle of water as the interviewer studied the next question on his sheet. He was in an interview with Entertainment Weekly, who were trying to get the latest scoop on his career and his upcoming movie. It was a film about a man trying to navigate the tragic loss of his wife in his middle-age years, being left with no children, and trying to come to terms with the fact that life would be difficult from then on. It included the effects of friendships and family during times of grief, as well as how the rare kindness of a stranger can help.

The role had put Jake in a pretty rough spot, seeing as he tried to pull from him own life experiences to dive deep into each one of his characters. He had mentally stationed himself to react to losing you, his own wife, in order to play out the script realistically.

"Can you tell us anything particular about the movie?"

"Yeah, yeah...Uh, it's just a wonderfully written film with a really wonderful message. The cast is great, the writers are great. It's just a really great pool of people that came together to make something a little deeper. It's something that's not really explored in modern Hollywood, something a bit more real and tangible about relationships and just the unexpected coarse of life itself."

"That sounds like a special project. It's hard to find films that are honest nowadays. Something that reflects the life of an average person and portrays it without the glitz and glamour and the cheesy one-liners. I feel like there's a lot more hardship in life than what's shown in the movies."

"That's what's really beautiful about the story we're trying to tell! That even though you can experience great loss, you can still have healthy relationships with people. You can get back into a good place. We're all so obsessed with the idea that only one person can make us happy, and that really poses a dangerous situation when we run the risk of losing that person," Jake's eyes lit up as he described the message of the film. His expressions became more animated and his hands gestured here and there as he continued. "When in fact there are dozens of people who can make us happy. We have friends, family members, and sometimes even just a smile from a stranger can change your day around for the better. And while it may not be the love of your life, you can still smile because someone took a second of their day to initiate a conversation, buy you a drink, or give you a call. We're trying to teach the audience that grief is normal, but it doesn't have to ruin your life. It's just another part of the journey."

"Wow, that's a great message to put out there for people." The interviewer nodded in approval before glancing down at his papers and back up to Jake. "So, where did you get your inspiration to play a widower? Was it hard to imagine that situation?"

"Yeah, actually, I really had to trick myself into my character's situation. And that was torture," Jake began, laughing lightly in between sentences as he recalled the last several months. It sounded more like an exasperated huff than a laugh, but it forced itself from his lungs either way. As he continued, he continued moving with his hands in an effort to help explain himself. "I had to put myself in this sort of mental lockdown where I kind of made up this world without my own wife, (Y/N), and it was-...it was hard. It was really hard. A lot of the scenes, which you'll see when the film is released, are my real reactions to scenarios my director and I came up with to help bring that raw emotion out."

"Really? It's not just your keen sense of acting?"

"Ha, no, it's real. Brutally real. I went all in with this film and I nearly lost my mind trying to put myself in a world where (Y/n) was no longer alive - just for the role."

"Oh, my gosh! That must have been really hard to work your head around."

"Yeah, it was, it was." Jake nodded, remembering the days he and his team had spent hours writing out scenes where they helped him imagine you on the other side of the camera. When the set for the funeral scene had been complete, he had even requested that a picture of you could be put in the frame next to the casket. When the shot was out of focus, he was looking at a picture of you, not his costar. That set had really gotten to him; he had come that night in tears and didn't let go of you for the longest time. He had wholeheartedly poured himself into the role to make it more believable for the audience - and for himself.

"So, on a brighter note, since your wife if alive and well," The interviewer laughed, making light of the topic. "Tell us about her! What is she like?"

"Well, she's actually here in LA with me, working on her own novel,"

"Wow, really? That's so cool!"

"Yeah, I know! She's already in development with a publishing company and everything. She's wonderful."

"What audience is her book directed towards?"

"It's actually for both adults and children. She's trying to orchestrate something that fits into a fantasy genre that's appealing to all ages. It's really a beautiful story. She's been to a few readings so far, in hospitals and libraries. It's a hit already, she's really good with the kids."

"Oh, so she's great with kids, huh? Any plans for your own anytime soon?"

"Nonono, I don't think either of us are quite ready for that." Jake laughed, waving his hands in dismissal to the suggestion. He, of course, was more than open to the idea of having children with you, but he knew that both of you wanted to explore your careers more before the time came for baby Gyllennhaals.

"It sounds like your wife is quite an exceptional woman!"

"Oh, yeah. She puts up with me on a daily basis, which is more than impressive. And she's really been a support system for me, which is really important in this field of work. I couldn't do it without her."

"Aw, that's so sweet!" The interviewer shifted his papers and looked back up to Jake after skimming his next question. "Is it true that she does cameos in your films?"

"Yes, it is! Since I've signed with Marvel, she's been asked to do some small cameos, some little comedy bits here and there. Actually, even in this film," Jake smiled sheepishly as he stroked his chin. Surely this wasn't too big of a spoiler? "She plays a small cameo. She looks gorgeous in it." He left out the part where you played the stranger on the streets of New York who offered him a kind smile and a coffee. The scene took place when Jake's character finally went back out into the wold and stopped at a small coffee cart in the streets. You played the silent role of the woman in front of him in line. Your only requirement was to turn and see Jake as you waited for your drink, notice his despondent state, and quietly buy his coffee for him with an extra five dollars to cover whatever the cost. That was the first sign of hope that his character would experience in the film.

"Well, we look forward to seeing her in it. There's really nothing she can't do, is there?" They both laughed. Jake shook his head.

"No, there's really not. She's phenomenal. She's a badass."