Chapter 2: Reunion

So, here's the re-write of Chapter 2. Didn't hit my aim of 10,000 words here but I'm not overly concerned about that. There wasn't much more I could add here. A couple of Manga scenes were added and I also added a little scene with Rei after Shinji decides to pilot the Eva, but even that I couldn't make much longer than I did. Most of this was just re-writing what already existed. Enjoy the rewrite!

Original AN: Chapter 2! The second half of Episode 1 here. The main point of the story will not start until next chapter, but I love writing Sachiel's thoughts before he becomes a shoulder angel. Anyway, the battle itself won't be for another couple chapters, but enjoy the introduction of our favourite Eva Unit, and the reunion of Father and Son!

-.-

July 16th, 2015.

Shinji glanced up as he stepped out of the car, stepping into the depths of NERV HQ for the first time. He glanced at Misato, who stood up quietly, adjusting her signature red jacket and giving him a smile, pulling out a map and glancing down at it. "Alright, well let's get going Shinji, we have places to be and little time to get there." Misato said, walking towards the nearby doorway and entering the building, setting onto a long hallway behind it. Shinji followed slowly, noting the grey colour with nothing else.

"Well, it's a nice colour." Shinji said sarcastically, causing Misato to laugh.

"I don't think the colour of the walls was the first thing on anyone's minds when this place was built." Misato replied, not glancing up from her map sitting in front of her face. Shinji pulled out the manual he'd been given in the car, reading and walking at the same time. As he walked, thoughts plagued his mind again. About his father.

'After all this, I still don't know why my father called me.' Shinji thought, following Misato into the depths of the building, stepping onto a travelator, no longer needing to walk, taking some ease of the situation. 'I know one thing though... this isn't going to be a joyous reunion.' Shinji glanced up as Misato muttered to herself.

"Let's see here. We arrived at the West entrance and made a right at North Gate No. 3. Leading here, to Route 8." Misato muttered glancing hard at her rather crude map of NERV HQ, a map that she really shouldn't need by now but still used. "I'm sure this is the right way..." Misato muttered, as the door quickly opened with a clang, revealing a rather dark looking path behind them. Route 8 opened up to one of the few openings around NERV HQ, so the wind was blowing quickly and efficiently as they passed. "Damn, I knew I shouldn't have worn a skirt today, the wind makes everything so much harder." She scrunched up her face as she read her map again. "I'm still wondering where Ritsuko could be..." Shinji glanced up briefly, meeting Misato's eyes. "God, I swear they purposely made this place confusing on purpose..."

"Hey, Misato?" Shinji asked, staring at the woman for a moment. She glanced up, a small smile on her face.

"Yes, Shinji?" She asked, an eyebrow raised in questioning.

"Are you sure you know where you're going? We've been traveling for a while now and we still haven't found my father yet..." Shinji replied, exasperation in his eyes.

"Don't worry, Shinji! Where're on the right path now! I think..." Misato replied, not keeping eye contact with the boy. Shinji frowned.

"You're lost, aren't you? We've passed this place twice already." Shinji replied, a small smile on his face. Misato frowned, giving the boy a small glare, before cheering up again, as if nothing had happened.

"Look, I'm new here okay? Besides, they should be thanking us for using these systems efficiently. But look on the bright side, Shinji! You know that we'll be getting there eventually!" Misato said, glancing up, a look of determination on her face.