Chapter 14

I'm zoning in and out of the conversation Jones is having with the doctor that has been assigned to me in the A&E department at The Royal London Hospital. I can't concentrate long enough to understand anything that's being said but I get the gist of it all.

"There's nothing serious to worry about, Kaylee." Dr. Little explains. "You'll be sore for the next few days. The biggest majority of the pains you were feeling when you came in here were from panicking. You'll have bruises on your chest from the seatbelt locking but it's not serious."

"And her scans all came back clear?" Jones asks.

"They did considering the car was hit by vehicles front and back and none of the airbags deployed."

"Which is something that will be looked into," Jones assures me with a tight nod.

"Her friend is still very shaken about the accident but her parents have been informed and they've been in and taken her home to rest. Kaylee's parents have also been notified and upon her request, her fiancé has been notified of her injuries and the results of the tests we have performed."

"Yes, I've been keeping him updated."

"Sir, given the state of the car from the pictures I've seen, both she and her friend are very lucky to be alive just as much as being able to walk out of the car. If the cars had hit them at a higher speed, we could have been looking at broken bones and lengthy surgeries to repair any issues that would have come up."

"My boss may have already asked this but I would like the answer so I can tell him if he hasn't asked this, but why was she sick? Surely there's a reason for that."

"More than likely it's from the stress of it all. From what you saw, she didn't have a panic attack at the scene, no?"

"No, but her friend did but obviously she did have one here."

"Well, we've taken some blood samples from her to be on the safe side. Those results should be through soon but she can always contact her own doctor for those when it suits. We've given her some pain relief and I have written a prescription for other pain medication she can use at home which I shall give to you for her."

"She's due to fly to America on Sunday, though."

"Well, I have no doubt that she will be flying first class but I will suggest that she take it easy over the coming days. Most of her bruising won't come out for another few days and she will find herself stiffening up, which will lead to finding things hard to do."

"Alright, I'll say to her fiancé and he can arrange everything for her so she's comfortable for her trip."

"She will be fine. It'll just take time. However, if anything becomes an issue down the line, I can give you some information to give to her with contact numbers for therapists. More often than not, people who have been in accidents like this develop PTSD which can be triggered when they're faced with having to get behind a wheel of a car again or-"

"I somehow think she'll be fine with that one. Her future mother-in-law is a well-known therapist so she'll help her when and if it's needed."

"I see. Well, if that's all, she is free to go."

"Even though she's going in and out of consciousness?"

"She is on a high dosage of pain relief medication. Plus, it's late at night and she's no doubt had a long day. She's more than fine to go home."

"Alright. Thank you."

"Good. She can leave as soon as she feels ready to go."

I push against the hospital bed, my eyes still closed, and sit up straight. "Jones."