A Classroom in Tren

"Who can tell me what the main export of the Water Kingdom is and why?" Mr Barnes asked.

My hand immediately flew up.

Mr Barnes gave the class a weary smile. "Does anyone other than Amara want to answer a question for once?"

He looked around the class but most of the students either looked away or pretended not to hear the question.

He sighed and muttered about only having one student before looking at me.

"Yes, Miss Shing." He nodded.

I stood up to address the class. "The Water Kingdom's chief export is fish. This is because they are situated in the north of Oros and of course are surrounded by endless water bodies. The weather is too cold to grow most crops and they have limited land as it is. So they have to resort to fishing."

Mr Barnes nodded at me and smiled. "Excellent, Amara. I'm glad at least someone has been reading my notes."

I beamed and sat back down.

I heard someone cough and mutter 'know-it-all', I looked to my left knowing the voice had come from right beside me.

Stella.

I narrowed my eyes at her but she just batted her eyes and gave me an innocent smile.

I didn't mind her comment though. Almost everyone in my year thought I was a 'know it all'. I, personally, wouldn't call myself that. I simply loved learning. Especially in this class. Mr Barnes was my favourite teacher and of course his subject, Political, Cultural and Social studies of the Kingdoms was my favourite as well. Most people in Tren grew up here, got married here and stayed here their whole lives. All they ever knew was our little town.

Travelling around the nations was expensive and most people could only dream of visiting a place outside the Fire kingdom unless you were a soldier of course. I knew, especially that I would probably never save enough money to travel that far but I at least hoped to travel to some nearby towns one day.

I had only been out of Tren a couple of times to visit my father's relatives in Azura. A city which was three hours away from Tren.

"Now," Mr Barnes continued, "the Ascension is coming up."

People in the room immediately started muttering among themselves.

"Oh. Now you're excited." Mr Barnes rolled his eyes but even he couldn't hide the glint in his eyes.

The Ascension was held every twenty years. It's how we chose the next leader of Oros.

Four candidates. One crown.

That's how it worked.

Four candidates from the Royal families of the four major kingdoms competed to be crowned High King/High Queen of Oros.
These being the Water kingdom, the Air kingdom, the Earth kingdom and of course the Fire kingdom.

Each candidate was given three months to campaign and in the eleventh month, the actual Ascension trials would begin in the Capital and after that, the votes would come in and we would have our next High King or High Queen.

It was usually a time of great pride and celebration.
Movement was less restricted, allowing people to go see what other kingdoms had to provide. Different royals toured the kingdoms, messengers were sent all over the kingdom so that we would be able to keep track of the various candidates and royals. All in all it was simply entertaining.

"I hate to dampen the mood," Mr Barnes spoke laughing at his own joke as he spoke over the voices that had risen in the classroom until everyone quietened down, "but since we're looking at the Water kingdom, I have a project that I'd like you to do in groups of five of your choosing."