Cassie

Cassie

The silence of my dead grandmother's house echoed my loneliness. I was alone, plagued by grief and cursed by death. My Mother, my Grandmother, my Father, my evil, power hungry father who had betrayed me again and again. Manipulating my friends and I to help him create the ultimate witching weapon - the crystal skull. Thinking it would help us defeat the witch hunters, when really he wanted to use it for his own gain for his own power and to kill all the witches outside the Blacoin bloodline, all my friends.

Thankfully I had been able to activate my sister’s dark magic and together we were able to overpower him. Together Diana and I had killed our father. But now she hated me; hated me for forcing her and our friends to trust him. But most of all she hated me for activating her dark magic, even though it had been the only way. Regardless she had left, turned her back on me and the circle, fleeing Chance Harbour with the Australian hottie Grant, running away from her responsibilities to chase a fairy tale. 

But why was she allowed a fairy tale, when my own love was doomed. Adam and I were written in the stars yet our fairy tale was cursed. A hundred dead black birds had littered my yard the morning after our first night together, an omen that the curse had been activated, that somebody in the circle would die. To save Jake from death, Adam and I had drunk the elixir; deactivating the curse and poisoning our feelings for one another, making us forget them.

Only I didn't forget. I remembered every moment. Remembered the way his hazel eyes smouldered me, the softness of his lips traveling down my neck, sending shivers down my spine. While he remembered nothing, while he forgot everything he ever felt for me. My heart ached for him and I couldn't help but hope that my father had lied about the curse too. That Adam and I weren't completely doomed. The memories of loving him hurt more than the betrayal of my father.

I sighed deeply, staring out at the starless black sky overwhelmed by grief. Turning my hand over, I noticed the symbol now branded into my palm, the same symbol my father had once had in his own palm. As I gazed at it, I felt the power of my dark magic wake inside me and scream for attention.

Forcing my eyes on the fire place I imagined hot fierce flames, which soon began to burn. Facing my palm towards the fire, I watched with wonder as the blaze erupted angrily, dancing and flicking before my eyes, just like the magic inside me. The grief and loneliness was gone, all I felt was the intense power flowing through my veins.

 It was different from the magic I'd wheedled before, it reminded me of how I'd felt holding the crystal skull, so overwhelmingly powerful. It was intense and magical. It burned through my veins like the fire burned before me.

-x-