Chapter 3 Sly

The men were all on the deck as the anchor climbed higher. The creak of the chains against the wood was almost a comfort. It meant we would be leaving an area that held no real memories for me to bring to the ocean. I had been on this ship since I was a small boy, and the land almost made my skin crawl. I was kind of shocked though how at ease I was on land with that girl with the big brown eyes. Her laughter was almost mixed with the crashing of the waves as I walked across the deck. Shaking my head though I tried to get the bells out of my head, I went over to some of the men to help open up the sails.

A whip sound broke through the air as the sails were untied and caught the breeze. A smile spread across my face. We were almost there. The men started to separate and go to their chores, but I couldn't help watching the shore grow smaller. The sight never got old for me. The wind blew my dark hair around me and in my face. Out of the corner of my eyes, I notice a new man. Short brown hair that had almost a red tint was close to his head. He was narrow and slim. How did he get on this ship? He was holding a mop, but his eyes were cast out towards the pile of sand that we were leaving. I made my way over to him.

"Have I met you before?" I titled my head over to get him to look in my direction.

The scrawny fellow, though with a snap of his neck bent his head down. There was something familiar about him, though. Where did I know him? I didn't wander through that much of the town.

"I don't think you and I have met. Have you spent much time on Martinique?" the little man spoke sloshing the dirty water about on deck.

My gut told me that he was hiding something.

"That was not my first time at Martinique, but it was for me to wander there. The Governor there is strict." I continued to stare at him, not even caring if others noticed. The more I tried to think of where I knew him, the more frustrated that I got."I usually don't leave the beach, but this time I decided to adventure more inland."

Lowering my head, I tried to get a glimpse of those eyes. The voice almost sounded like that girl at the port. I knew it couldn't be that girl, but part of me wanted this boy before me to be her.

"It's a beautiful place; you should go to visit more inland." His words came out a little quicker.

He was not Elizabeth. This person before me wasn't Elizabeth. Turning my head, I saw the calmness of the sea against the horizon and let out a deep breath. I could have stayed with her, but I left. I went with that girl; part of me felt uneasy about doing so. I turned to get one last peek at Jocelyn. She had her back to me, sitting in the sand appearing to be so small. She was better off without me.

"You missed a spot," I lied in a soft voice and marched forward.

I headed towards the wheel and away from the ghost. I swung myself over the railing of the stairs, the wood moved under my palm, and I saw the man that ran the show. There was Captain Black Soul with his back straight, shoulders back as his hand was on the wheel. A weight flew off my shoulders, and a smile grew on my face. That was his spot. He was a captain that would do anything in his power to stay behind that wheel. My earliest memories of him are of him in that very spot. I could see how much he loved the sovereignty of being the one steering.

"Young Sly, what do you think, Saint Lucia or Barbados first?" his deep voice boomed as I got close enough.

I looked upon the face that painted by the sun, wrinkles creased in the corner of his eyes. His friendly face, I was the only witness to that moment. He was the closest thing to a parent that I had, the best father figure that I ever had.

"First, we shall go to Saint Lucia, and then we'll go to Barbados," I answered with a grin on my face that was almost stretching to my ears.

He let out a burst of deep laughter, from within his chest."Ah, good plan, my son."