Chapter 2 Elizabeth

"Elizabeth, where have you been?" an attempt of a stern voice was aimed at me as I kept my eyes on the ground trying to fix my hair.

My face warmed, and my eyes stayed on the ground before me. My fingers kept running through the wind-whipped hair. There were so many knots as I could feel the texture had changed. I was struggling to get my hair back in its hold. Barely getting my hair tied loosely I gave up.

"Sorry Papa, I just went on a little walk since we weren't busy."

Disheartened I followed him back towards the office. I thought that Sly liked me, even though we had just met. He would look me in the eyes, and his voice would cause my heart to flutter. I needed a good kick in the butt. How could someone grow feelings for someone that quickly? I shook my head. However, Angeline was able to waltz onto the beach, and to Sly, I never existed. I hated her.

"I'm going away in a few short days, and I can't have you wandering off whenever you feel like it," he spoke softly, his eyelids were heavy giving his eyes a weary expression.

My Papa began to cough. Scratchy rough sounds filled the air. He wrapped an arm around himself while the other was in his mouth. I rushed over to him, catching him as he folded to the ground. Red liquid seeped through his fingers. My heart froze, and I screamed. This could not be happening; this could not be the moment that I'd known had been coming. The morning was good only moments ago now it seemed like the black mark was on us. The boss came out of the office, when he spotted us he rushed over.

"Elizabeth, I'll get him to bed, and you go run to get the doctor," the boss commanded. Air seemed stuck in my throat, and my mind went blank."Jocelyn, go now!"

I nodded and ran. My hands fell to my sides and clenched the fabric in my hands. Despite my aching lungs, I ran on. People yelled at me as I passed them and nearly knocked them down. The man was coming out of the store; he was close to my age with a brown beard covering his face. I bounced off of him and landed on my bottom on the floor. He sneered at me as I pushed myself up and raced into the doctor's place.

The words wouldn't come out as air struggled to get to my lungs. I forced through knowing every second counted.

"Doctor, please, my Papa," I pleaded as tears started to form and my bottom lip trembled.

He grabbed a bag and together we ran back to my place. Our boss was standing by Papa's bed as there were a couple of pieces of cloth with red blotches on them. Tears streamed down my face.

"Elizabeth, it might be best for you to leave the room while the doctor examines him," our boss spoke.

I wiped my eyes and cheeks. Whatever the doctor was going to do, I knew we were never going to be able to afford to pay him back. We already had a tab, and it was no secret in town. I collapsed in one of the chairs at our table and rested my head on the table. My cheeks were wet, and so were my sleeves. I bit down on my bottom lip because I wasn't sure if it would tremble or if a sob would escape.

Lord, I know you don't hear from me often, but please let him be alright.

The minutes seemed to go by like hours. The sheets shifted, and I stood up so fast I nearly knocked the chair over. Quickly I grabbed the chair and pushed it under the table.

"I'm sorry to tell you this, Elizabeth, but it seems like there isn't anything left for me to do. I'd suggest making him comfortable because I don't think he'll make it to morning."

The doctor nodded his head and left. Our boss put a hand on my shoulder; the weight of his side did not ease my racing heart.

"Take today off, and we'll see how he is. Then we'll talk."